PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Lb Linotype and Monotype ingots ?

Johnch
06-29-2011, 07:40 PM
A older guy from the club needed some wire ing done so he could sell his house
So I did it for him and told him no charge , only took me a hour
And a few $ in supplys

He insisted on giving me something
So he ask me if I wanted his lead stash as payment, as he was moving into assisted living in less than a month

Of course

I was shocked
About 1000 lb , maybe more in ingots
Each pile was labled .....Range , Wheel Weights , Pure or Lyman #2

But he also had 4 5 gallon buckets to take
1 3/4 buckets was Linotype in strips
The other 2 buckets were labled Monotype and Linotype were each 2/3 full
But it was all in about 1/2 lb ingots
Each ingot was cast in a mold that had Monotype or Linotype
In raised letters , sort of like a Lyman or Lee mold

My quick scratch test says they are hard and they ring

The ingots are about 2 1/4" x 1 3/8" x 1/2"
Are these real Lino and Mono ingots ?

John

texasmac
06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
John,

I can't answer your question but that's one heck of a score. I hit the "mother lode" when I 1st started casting around 20 years or so. A fellow listed range lead for sale in the local newspaper for $50, if I remember correctly. I called and he said he thought it was about 200lbs. When I looked at the stash of 1lb ingots, I quickly handled him the $50 and started loading it in the car trunk. Buy the time it was all loaded the front wheels barely touched the ground and I had to pull out the air pump for the rear tires. Fortunately home was not far. It turned out to be around 800lbs of range lead. I still have a bunch of it.

Wayne

bumpo628
06-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Sounds like the score of the century. My guess is that this guy was very well organized and therefore it is whatever it says. Congrats.

Defcon-One
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM
I agree with bumpo. I doubt that he'd label any of it wrong. He sounds too precise to make a mistake like that. Enjoy it! Maybe you ought to visit him from time to time if you can. He'll likely get lonely and depressed where he is going.

Remember, he is "us" in the future. I expect some day that my family will give away all of my unused stash and equipment once I am gone! I hope the guy who gets it appreciates how well and accurately it is labeled!

dieguy59
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Defcon-one make an excellent point. He IS us in the future. We all hope for what John came across, but this gentleman used to scrounge and trade as well. Visiting and hearing his stories of times gone by are worth as much as the lead.

Cherokee
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
+1 for Defcon's comments. Great score, never forget him.

merlin101
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
What a score! Not only should you stop in and visit him, ask if he wants to ride out to the range for an hour or two. I'm sure he would enjoy it even if he just watched.

imashooter2
07-05-2011, 05:06 PM
That's a real nice reward for doing a good deed. Congratulations!

The ingots are not what a foundry would have delivered, but I would use them as marked.

Changeling
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
It pays to be a decent Human being! Sometime, when you go into the next life things like that will toss you to the top of the list.