PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine guru's?

Stevie
06-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I've had an M1 carbine I inherited from my father in law rat-holed for several years.

One of the last of the cheap carbines..he bought it in the early 1990's for $169 at a gunshow....came with sling bayonet and all. Probably a ROK import..well used..and has a tiny import stamp I cannot read.

Anyhow, son and I take the spare M1 carbine shooting yesterday..and it shoots great. Has a few problems with the front band slipping forward and tossing the handguard off....but the hook on the bandspring is bogus..so no big deal.

While looking the carbine over post-shoot..dawns on me that it's a fairly early Inland made gun...5 digit serial number, and a barrel date of 9-42.

I scatter the carbine and inspect all the parts to see who made what. It's a pile of different make pieces...but the barreled receiver..and the stock and handguard all appear to be Inland parts.

I was curious if the stock and handguard were appropriate for a 1942 made Inland. The handguard is a two rivit walnut peice..maybe with the deeper sight groove. The stock is a thin wartime type with the oval oiler/sling slot..and low wood at the op-rod. No 'I slot'..and no 'hi wood' or 'high wall' or whatever they call the early stocks that cover most of the op-rod.

The stock has a 'HI' marking in the sling groove(Inland?)..and the handguard has an 'HU' or 'HO' on the bottom edge(possible Inland?)

Does the stock/handguard codes corrospond with Inland codes...would a late 1942 made Inland carbine be in the range for a stock without early features?

Thanx. Stevie

shotman
06-29-2011, 03:40 PM
It could as many mixed stuff. the top hand guard is a collector thing and can split with reloads Mixed parts dont mean anything unless you what a all org, would look on feebay to get after market top

Gtek
06-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Most all have been through arsenal inspection and or rebuild, I bet you have late rear sight and late band. You could research and chase parts and for a couple hundred probably when your done have a correct grade. Research, Learn, SHOOT IT! I have box's of every part and over 500 hundred stocks for that rifle. If you have to have it, PM me if interested. Gtek

leadman
06-30-2011, 12:26 AM
The CMP forum is a great place to find help with what you have. Lots of collectors on that site.

Combat Diver
07-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Just remember not a single M1 carbine manufactuered all the parts. Parts came from several vendors. The most parts made by a singel company was Underwood-Elliot but they didn't make complete guns either.

CD

missionary5155
07-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Greetings
I have a later Inland (44) stamped Blue Sky. Traded an old engineers folding scale for it back in 1982. Found a feller who had a bucket full of 15 round mags still in the wrap for $1 apiece. My two young sons fired thousands of cast boolit loads through it growing up. We had some great hours of fun in the back yard with it then reloading that brass downstairs on the Dillon. Mike in Peru