PDA

View Full Version : I'm a fixing to....use only 5 cavities MiHec mold

max it
06-29-2011, 12:34 PM
HI, Yes it is a six shooter. HOwever with all my best efforts at 'Leementing' and using Frankfort mold release, smoke (& mirrors) I still have one sticky mold cavity.
any encouragment out there?

Much obliged,

Max

captaint
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Max - So, what mold are you using and have you looked at the edges of the cavities with a magnifying glass??? That could likely be your problem. Mike

max it
06-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Capt, it's a MP359-147 six banger.
I took another look; still dont see anything wrong with cylinder #2
but it hangs up, I started leaving the boolit in that one and just dump the other 5 for speed. So every third or fouth pour it comes out. Faster that way.
much obliged,

Max

bhn22
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
look the bullet over carefully for scratches that might give you an indication of where the snag is. I have a Lyman mould that gets sticky when it gets really hot, so I had to use a slower casting rate with it.

jameslovesjammie
06-30-2011, 02:39 AM
Clean out the smoke if you smoked it. Get the mold release off it. Spray it down with brake cleaner and then scrub it with Dawn dish soap and an old tooth brush. Preheat the mold before you use it, making sure the mold is up to temp but keep the melt the same temp as you are using it now.

max it
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
HI James, and fellows,
Sounds good to me. I just cleaned it with brake fluid and a brass brush. I will do the dish soap thing when I pull it out for next use.
Much obliged,

Max

Moonie
06-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I would suggest you contact Miha about the issue, he is a great guy and will go out of his way to make you happy.

max it
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Moonie, great idea.
much obliged,

Max

Jailer
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
HI James, and fellows,
Sounds good to me. I just cleaned it with brake fluid and a brass brush. I will do the dish soap thing when I pull it out for next use.
Much obliged,

Max

I wouldn't use a brass brush on an aluminum mold.

MtGun44
07-01-2011, 10:02 PM
YIKES! A brass brush on an aluminum mold is definitely a bad idea. You may have
significantly rounded over the edges of the cavities with that if you got very vigorous.
Aluminum is SOFT and needs TLC.

A toothbrush with Comet is a good idea on that sticky cavity.

Bill

max it
07-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Bill, ssshh! dont tel Mihec.

anyway I looked at it under the magnifying glass and it wasnt any worse for wear.

I'll try red rouge compound next depending on what Mihec tells me.

Much obliged,

Max

Iron Mike Golf
07-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Does it always stick in the same block?

max it
07-06-2011, 09:12 AM
HI MIKe,

It's the no. 2 cavity, left side only, MiHec had me look at it in a magnifying glass; some ragged edges now. So he recommended using a fine polishing rub. I will try that before I use it next time. The problem has been from the start. I expected it to go away with time. I have cast several thousand boolits by now. I just got agressive with it lately.

Much obliged,

Max

Ben
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Max it :

Take a look at this. Most likely , this will take care of your problem :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=31700

max it
07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Ben, I just read your thread; actually I have done that one previously. Maybe I will try it again. I have fine jewelers rouge now whereas I must have substituted something last time. Also MiHec had me check it under a glass and I can see some rough edges on the base so I will smooth them out too.

Much obliged,

Max

Ben
07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Just remember, if it is hanging, there is a reason for it.

You've just got to be a real good detective and find it.

Ben

max it
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Ben, final word,
you are right on
I finally got it smoothed out.
Much obliged,

Max

geargnasher
09-24-2011, 11:58 PM
I hope you meant "brake cleaner" instead of "brake fluid" in post #6! Big difference.

Gear

max it
09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I hope you meant "brake cleaner" instead of "brake fluid" in post #6! Big difference.

Gear

Gear, oops, it is actually '
carb cleaner'

:sad:

much obliged,

Max