PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 & SASS

MikeS
06-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi All.

I know nothing of SASS, but a local shooting club only allows center fire rifles that are approved by SASS. I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and was wondering if it's approved by SASS? Thanks for any help with this!

redneckdan
06-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Nope. Gotta be a pistol caliber. They won't allow loaded down 30-30 either....

Larry Gibson
06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
A M73 Winchester in .38/.357 with 18 - 20" barrel is the rifle to use for SASS competition. Watched the matches at End of Trail last week and the rifle speed event (9 shots) was won in 2.4 something seconds. Also watched Holy Terror win the Sweet Sixteen and the Master Gunfighter shootoffs. Only thing to say was WOW!.

Only saw a couple M92s and no Marlins on the line out of 750+ shooters. They are just not competitive.

Larry Gibson

felix
06-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Larry, what is the mechanical difference between the 92 and 73? ... felix

Larry Gibson
06-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Larry, what is the mechanical difference between the 92 and 73? ... felix

Much smoother action of the '73 due to toggle linkage, shorter lever throw and lighter weight of moving parts. The '92 is the stronger action due to the converse of these. Strength of the action is not a factor with the minimal loads used in SASS shooting, speed is a factory if not the factor.

Lots and lots of cast bullets (all of them) shot up in that week long event:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

felix
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Sounds as if the Ruger lever took some hints from the 73! I assume (I know what assume means) the Ruger uses 4140 steel and SHOULD hold up to the hotter loads. ... felix

Calamity Jake
06-30-2011, 10:26 AM
With just a little bit of work, a spring kit and a short stroke lever the 73 can be made to run pretty fast.
Don't know what steel is used but the octagon barrel is heavy even in the 20" but man does it point good.

Long Hunter, a well known in CAS once used a Marlin, don't know if he still does, he shot our annual LandRun event a few years ago, I timed him in our fastest lever gun side match,
10 rounds down range in under 3 seconds.

Throckmorton
07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
the '73's run fast because the round is fed straight into the chamber,not 'up and over' like so many other lever actions.The short stroike,and super short stroke kits that are available really turn them into a swiss watch. !
I just 'upgraded' from a Rossi m92 to a straight-feeding 1866 clone by Uberti,and my rifle times are for sujre faster,even tho mine is bone stock. .When I can afford the slick-em-ups I'll do them,but it do get spendy turning a stock gun into a race gun... over 500.00 bucks !

Westwindmike
07-03-2011, 01:16 PM
When SASS first started, it was a lot of fun. Just us old guys dressing up like cowboys and shooting old guns. Then it started getting competitive. Too competitive. It wasn't fun anymore and I got out. A lot of other folks got out too. Now there is an IPSC mentality to SASS. Too much money and pressure for me.

cajun shooter
07-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Westwindmike, If you review the history of SASS you will find that the Judge SASS #1 and the rest of the original 10 were all Ipsc shooters looking for something different and started SASS. In the start it was a lot different as has been noted and has done the same thing that happens to all shooting sports that I have shot in. You have a lot of people who join and change the rules to give them a advantage at each match. We have men who are over 6ft. tall and over 200 lbs. shooting 32 H&R revolvers and shooting 20 ga. shotguns. The huge majority are shooting 38 spl ammo that is loaded in the 500 FPS range. If you stand behind them, you can see the bullet going downrange. The rifle is fired with such weak ammo that they don't have as much recoil as a 22lr. These people are called "GAMERS" in the ranks and are the ones you see win all the big matches. There is how ever another group of persons who play the game. They shoot in the various classes and use standard ammo that is in the 800 fps for revolvers and over 1000 fps for the rifle. The shotgun loads are in the dove load range. They have fun and enjoy the sport and camaraderie with the other pards who hold the same beliefs. When you drop out, you are only hurting yourself and others like you. I shoot 100% real BLACK POWDER 44-40 loads that are filled to the top before seating the bullet. These loads are the same that was fired in 1873 and beyond. My shotgun loads are loaded to the same as hunting loads of the era. When I first started, I was last every week. That did not matter as I was shooting the game the way I feel it should be shot. I know who is doing the game correctly as far as history goes and the "GAMERS" know who they are when they step forward to take the trophy. Come back and enjoy the game your way as SASS has room for all of us. It just like the old west standards, some wear the white hat and some the black.

NickSS
07-03-2011, 10:39 PM
+1 for me too. I shoot SASS infrequently as I shoot a lot of BPCR and 22 Silhouette and onece in awhile a SASS shoot for fun. Personally I usually use a pair of C&B revolvers, a Henry rifle in 45 colt loaded with black powder and a cheap DB shotgun also loaded with black powder. I never win but I do make a lot of smoke and noise and rarely miss anything. Its all for the fun of it.