PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs #78 Non Factory Altered 4 Cavity Mould - eBay

Texasflyboy
06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
A good example of "if it ain't broke....don't fix it."

Posted for those members of the forum who may not have noticed the non factory crude modifications of the front driving band.

eBay 300571724003 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hensley-and-Gibbs-4-Cav-78-45ACP-bullet-mold-w-handles-/300571724003?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb7888e3)

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/a/78111.jpg

Dale53
06-29-2011, 01:34 AM
I'm not in the market for that mould but I surely want to thank Texas Flyboy for giving us a "heads up".

Dale53

Piedmont
06-29-2011, 02:36 AM
It makes you want to cry.

shotstring
06-29-2011, 03:52 AM
When I first noticed this mold on Ebay, the chewings on the cavity edge were the first clue that all was not right. I'm amazed how much some of these "improved" or "carelessly handled" H & G molds go for on the site, and you see it time and time again.

I just picked up an almost unused #130 PB H & G mold for a fair price, only to notice that a beat up version of the same mold sold a 3 days later for $40 more. Can't believe they weren't aware of both molds, but I suppose it was possible.

Wayne Smith
06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I also noticed he didn't show the noses of the cast boolits. Methinks the seller isn't as unknowledgable as he suggests.

cbrick
06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
That is a shame and the seller not honest enough to state its a crudely modified mold.

I noticed on the same ebay page a used set of LEE mold handles going for $4.00 more than Midway sells them new for. No wonder I avoid ebay like the plague.

Rick

MikeS
06-29-2011, 04:38 PM
That seller sells reloading equipment all the time, and seems to know enough about casting to make the samples he shows in his mould listings. I find that eBay is only good for buying stuff that's no longer available. You have to be very careful of stuff selling there, and double check everything before buying anything. It's amazing what can happen when a 'bidding war' gets started! But then that's also true of real auctions as well. I used to be an auctioneer, and even before I was, we ran many auctions for leather working factories, and it's truly amazing the prices some things can bring!

I'm sure that mould will sell for big bucks! I don't think that seller is just selling his/her own personal stuff, but probably buys stuff specifically to sell, and probably bought that 'old obsolete' mould for $10.00 from some unknowing widow, or son/daughter, etc. Oh well, so it goes.

mold maker
06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Just think, someday your stuff will be called, "Vintage", and sold the same way.
Come to think of it I'm "Vintage" already.

casterofboolits
06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Just think, someday your stuff will be called, "Vintage", and sold the same way.
Come to think of it I'm "Vintage" already.

+1 on that! :coffee:

Iron Mike Golf
07-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Well, sometimes those dealers do have something in stock when it's on backorder with my usual retailers.