PDA

View Full Version : Lever Prices

ColColt
06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I've always been a rifleman at heart. The first powerful(more than a .22) rifle I ever shot was in basic-the M14. There wasn't any M16 Micky Mouse guns at that time and I had to lug around a nine pound M14. got pretty good with it and qualified as Expert in basic. Some years later when I got away from Uncle Sam, my first rifle was a 1898 Mauser-30-06. I remember the joy in concocting loads for it learning about how to proper seat the bullet just kissing the lands and backing off about .015-.030" and to be on the lookout for incipient case head separations.

I then later got a .308 Norma Magnum and a BDL in 7mm Rem Magnum.After reading too much of Jack O'Connor in Outdoor Life I had to have a 270 Winchester. It was a beautiful rifle custom made by the late Hal Hartley of Lenoir, NC. It was finished in his signature wood, curly(tiger tail) maple. It \was a work of art with fleur-de-lis checkering, Douglas Premium barrel and 98 Mauser action. It shot superb. Adding to my collection later was a Navy Arms Rolling Block in 45-70 and their 58 cal Zouave.

Some years before that I bought a 336 Marlin and 94 Winchester. So, I've had a fair share of rifles over the years but I'm totally appalled at the price of lever action guns today. I looked at a Uberti 1873 Winchester and nearly dropped my teeth$1250 for a rifle made in Italy to me should cost no more than $300 but yep, I know, I'm behind the times. I'd love to have one of those but just can't muster up the courage to part with that much for something I'd use only now and then seeing the outdoor range is about 30 mile drive. I guess I can still play armchair cowboy at any length. There's lots of great looking/shooting levers today but at what prices!

robertbank
06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Take a look at Rossi guns. Well made and priced right. Nobody works for free anymore and the US dollar has fallen against most major currencies.

Take Care

Bob

northmn
06-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Get a used Marlin. Until they get their act together on the new ones the used ones are a good buy. Sales associate in a local store showed me a Marlin in stock and made a comment on how they have been really gone downhill.

DP

357shooter
06-30-2011, 05:53 PM
I can recommend the Rossi 357 20inch round barrel. I did do some work using the material from Steves Gunz to smooth out the action, and to get it back together correctly. Once you familiar with the process it's pretty easy.

The round barrel come predrilled and tapper for the Rossi factory Weaver mount. It's underneath the stock sight.

GunsAmerica is the only place I could find one, and made sure it was in stock. Bud's was dry at the time, but they may have gotten them in.

The other calibers are pretty great I'm sure. It's worth the money, the payback is big grins.

shawnsmc
06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
I was at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and a guy was selling a couple of winchester 94 trappers one was a 44mag and the other was a 357mag. I payed $900 for the pair and I sold them today for $1,400. Every once in awhile you can still find good deals at gun shows.:razz:

Swede44mag
07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Most of the lever actions I have found at the pawn shops are as high or higher than new.
If I am going to pay new price I will buy a new gun.

felix
07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
I want an accurate gun. Pawn shops around here let you test them before buying. ... felix

missionary5155
07-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Good morning
I rescently purchased a Marlin 336 A in 30-30 for $155.. a little rough but I am going to have it rebored to .410. Late last year I bought a very nice Marlin .375 Winchester for $385. If you are willing to hunt & search there are some nice lever guns out there that for some reason end up selling at reasonable prices. Especially if someone added a sling mount hole to a stock.
Mike in Peru

ColColt
07-02-2011, 12:33 PM
The problem with Marlin, from what I recall reading, is the micro groove barrel-not intrinsically great for cast boolits. I don't know all the specifics as to why but do recall reading that micro grooved barrels do better with jacketed boolits.

Maybe a Winchester Commemorative in 38-55 would fit the ticket. That's the caliber I'd like to have anyway.