PDA

View Full Version : Feg hi-power clone

6.5 mike
06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if after market safetys for a Browning will work in one these ? I picked one up at a show this past weekend. The factory one is way to small for my hand, bout to eat the meat off my thumb with it, TIA.

Johnch
06-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Not sure if the safetys will work

But I have a Browning barrel and aftermarket High Power grips on mine

I read somplace that the FEG was made in Hungery on machines set up by Browning
Originaly for a Military contract

John

frank505
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
If is the clone version, not the later one, all Browning parts will fit. The clones can be simple to figure out. Above the trigger on the frame if you see an oval it is a Borwning clone if not it is the weird version.

6.5 mike
07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
Johnch, I had one of these a long time ago so I knew the grips would fit, didn't know a bbl would, thanks.
Frank505, it does have the oval you pointed out so an aftermarket safefy should work, thanks.
It came with an KRP mag & I remembered seeing the local LEO's using them when I was in Argentina. This one had a laynard ring on the left side that had been added somewhere along the line. The mags are made in Argentina, & makes me wonder if it had been used there. Who knows.
What made me buy this is the fellow that does the mantainance at the range I use asked me bout 2 yrs ago if I could use the range drops for anything. I told Russel if I could not I might know someone who could. As it turns out I have about 600 useable 9 m/m + bout the same amount of brass, figured it was about time to have something to shoot them in, lol.
I did make 2 dummy rounds with the lee 125 rf. They cycle through the mags & gun with no problem so may be able to work with that mould for it. Time to go digging for loads, thanks.

NickSS
07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
I have two of them (both together cost me less than half of what a Browning brings. I had to replace the spring guide rod on mine and a Browning one from Brownells dropped right in like it was made for it. I removed the magazine disconnect and this made the trigger pull much better and removed all the grate in it. I kept the parts so I can put it back in if I ever deside to sell them which is not likely as I really like them.

6.5 mike
07-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Nick, more good info. The trigger isn't to bad in this one, may just work with what I've got for now. I hav'nt done a pistol build in awhile, guess this is as good as any. Be pretty simple, safety, sights, finish, & grips. And that's my lie & I'm sticking to it,lol. :popcorn:

bruce drake
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
The FEG Hi-Power Clone is one of the best deals for the money to get an all steel pistol in the current market.

I had one 15 years ago and sold it to cover bills during college and I finally decided to reinvest in one this summer. It came in this week and the replacement FEG shows the same level of quality as the one I owned in the past. I miked the barrel this evening and it will be a very nice cast shooter. The barrel miked at .3565 so I'll be using .366 cast lead boolits to start load development with next week.

I'll Make Mine
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
The barrel miked at .3565 so I'll be using .366 cast lead boolits to start load development with next week.

Do you think those .366 boolits will chamber? :kidding:

bruce drake
09-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Dyslexia strikes again! I went out and measured the slug again. .3565! with a .358 sized bullet being the planned goal.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_5255062748e92237.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6801)

A picture of the FEG in question.

Bruce

I'll Make Mine
09-26-2012, 08:43 PM
The High Power (of whatever provenance) is the one gun that could get me to shoot a 9 mm on a regular basis.

HeavyMetal
09-27-2012, 11:58 AM
bought an FEG clone 10 or so years ago, so far have found all HP parts to be a direct interchange including an Ambi safty from a company that went out of Business a few years ago!

Mine now wears some custom grips and an old lo mount Micro site with a dovetailed front blade.

Kinda wanted a 1960/70 HP custom and the Micro site ( as well as the S&W J frame site) were the only options in those days.

would have done the S&W site but couldn't find one for sale to save my life, then two months after I did the Micro a pair of J frame adjustable sites poped up on evil bay and I bought them.

Who knows another FEG might pop up and I'll nab it.

Any time I'm willing to buy a second version of something says it's good so enjoy the FEG you have!

bruce drake
09-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Its my second FEG as well! Great quality for the money.

www.SARCO.com has some still. Mine was from the Very Good selection stack. total price was $290 with my local FFL doing the transfer.

Bruce