PDA

View Full Version : Shot my new wild kitty today

Trailblazer
01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Fired the first rounds though my latest creation this morning. I shortened and rethreaded one of the 1889 Mauser barrels in 30-06 from Numrich to fit a Winchester Big Bore receiver. I shortened the barrel enough to use a 2.235" case. I formed brass from Winchester 30-06 and R-P 444 Marlin cases. Water capacity is about 60 grains to the mouth. Overall length with standard FN 30 caliber bullets is 2.73" which will function through my "lengthened" BB 94.

I loaded 6 rds with 44, 45 and 46 grains of BL-C(2) with 150 grain bullets. I intended to chrono the loads but I used up 5 getting it sighted in. I chronoed one of the 46 grain loads and got 2696 FPS at 15'. Barrel length is a hair under 24". There were no excessive pressure signs whatsoever. Primers have rounded edges and the cases actually shortened 1 or 2 thousandths so there was zero case stretching. Looks good so far!

lar45
01-05-2007, 08:17 PM
That sounds like a great little gun. Got any pics?
What did you do to get the 2.73" cartridge to feed?
Nuemrich has barrels in 307 win. I think they are only 20" though.

I punched your 46gn load into Quickload with a 150gn Speer FN and got 2733fps @ 46,000psi
The 307 has a max pressure around 60,000psi
I went up in powder in Quickload and got 50gns BLC2 for 2957fps @ 59,700psi.
This is not load data, but I think it's pretty close.

Did the cases from 30-06 feed from the magazine? Or was there a problem with no rim.

I have a 309 JDJ barrel for my TC. To form cases I put a 444 case into a 308 size die to get the sholder in the right spot and then fireformed.
The 307 holds 54gns H2O, 62gns for the 309 JDJ. You could probably use load info somewhere between those two to start with.

Trailblazer
01-06-2007, 12:05 AM
I will get some pics soon. See here on what I did to lengthen the action:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7066

Your Quickload is not far off on the velocity! It looks like I can go a bit further next time. I am actually skeptical of the claimed max pressure of 52,000 CUP in the Big Bore. Maybe it will handle it but I have my doubts.

Hodgdon has pressure tested load data posted for the 303 British and the 7.62 Russkie on their website. The Brit case is about 57 grains H2O and the Russian is 64 grains. I used those and 307 data to estimate my starting charges. The Russian case develops some impressive velocities at moderate pressures. My plan is to test the current chamber and then Ackleyize it. That ought to put me right up there with the Russian case. I think 2900 with a 150 is doable with the bigger case. I will see what I have for the 309 JDJ. I hadn't thought of that one as a source for load data.

Rimless cases will not feed from the tube in a 94. When the lifter raises a cartridge will slide underneath it and then the bolt will not go forward and things will be bound up. The cartridge stop on the front of the lower link needs a rim to stop the next cartridge from sliding under the lifter but the stop has to be low enough to clear the case body.

lar45
01-06-2007, 02:29 AM
That's what I thought on the rimless case. I guess you could single load them for testing. I should have some load info from JD Jones that came with my 309 barrel. I'll see if I can locate it. I wonder if they have load data listed on their website?

I missed your writeup on lengthening the first time, but have it copied and saved. Very nice work, it will save me some head scratching for sure.

Trailblazer
01-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I realized you may not be able to lengthen all 94's like I did the 356. It seems there are long extractors and short extractors. The long extractor is likely to limit the bolt travel. I don't know what models have which. My two Big Bores both have the short extractor. My 70's vintage 30-30 has the long extractor and it looks like pre-64's have the long extractor. One of the items on my list of things to do is to remove the carrier from the 30-30 and measure how far aft the bolt will travel. I need more play time!