PDA

View Full Version : Product Test: Gunbrite polish

Typecaster
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
The advertising for this made it seem to be the answer to a maiden's prayer. Cleans stainless or factory-blued guns—REMOVES RUST without harming the bluing!!!! No local shops had it and I was told it (like Gunscrubber and Minwax antique oil finish) isn't legal in California…so I had to have it. When I visited my dad in Arizona last week I picked up both products—Gunbrite from Midway; Minwax at the True Value hardware store.

First test of the Gunbrite was on a steel-tube Weaver K-2.5 that had a few scrapes that were rusted. A dab of Gunbrite and a 3-second polish with a soft cloth…no rust, just bright metal. It took about 30 seconds to do the whole scope. Bluing is fine. Unfortunately I didn't take photos.

Second test—the trigger guard on my dad's Win. 67A. This had some substantial rust. Gunbrite took it down to clean metal in a couple of seconds…not smooth, but clean metal. The barrel had a little bit of freckling, and Gunbrite cleaned it up easily. Once again, bluing is fine. I'd rather have bare metal protected with a wipe of Ed's Red than rust.

Next test: a 12X Unertl that has a little freckling.

So far, I'd give Gunbrite a 10.

Richard

Reloader06
07-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting. Might have to find some myself.

Thanks Richard,

Matt(otherside of the feild)

Typecaster
07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Matt, you're welcome to try some of mine. We're within walking distance down the wash, so it should be easy.

Talk about deja vu—I was planning to check old messages to see how you're doing. We've got a new (big) bear who has decided it's easier to break peach limbs than just eat the fruit. Couple of trees look like poop. Completely ignored the Santa Rosa plums this year, ate everything from the 3 other varieties I planted.

Best,

R

Reloader06
07-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Good to hear from You Sir. Havent seen the bruin, yet. We have deer eating everything in sight, but no bears. I planted 16 more pepper plants so if it comes down here it could be interesting. Sorry to hear about your trees.

I have to be up at 4:30, so time to hit the sack. Take care.

Matt