PDA

View Full Version : My Jap 6.5

frkelly74
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I had a chance to acquire some 6.5 Jap brass from another member and it resulted in a chain of events of course. The brass was made from 30/40 Krag brass and looked like someone took a lot of care and time to do the job correctly. It must be quite old but is in good condition. I tried a few in the rifle and they chambered without a hitch. I looked around and found some 6.5 boolits that I had cast from a Lee custom mold and decided to try some in this brass. These boolits are sort of like a 266469 Lyman boolit except they have a flat nose and a longer nose section. The nose casts at .263 and the shank casts at almost .269. they were run through a sizer that I had drilled out to roughly.267 although it is a rough job. I mostly wanted to crimp the gas checks a little. They were tumble lubed with lee liquid Alox. So then I primed 20 of the cases and belled them a little, put in 9 gr of Alcan 5 and seated the boolits so that the Gas check was at the bottom of the neck. Then I reinstalled the weaver K3 scope and headed to the range. In 5 shots I was hitting clay pigeons on the bank at will. This is my standard of useful accuracy. Then there was a pop can that needed to learn to dance. Not a problem with the shooting although the cartridges did not always feed from the magazine. They would hang up and I would need to jiggle the bolt to get them in the chamber. I mostly shoot single shot any way. This rifle is a nicely done sporter that I got for cheap a while ago and it has been as much fun as any gun I ever owned.

So then I had to come home and fire up the pot and cast some more of those boolits. The lube is setting up on them now.

leadman
06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Sounds like you had fun.

madsenshooter
06-28-2011, 06:53 PM
It does take some work to make them from 30/40 or 303 British, you can't neck down directly from 30 to 6.5, and there's a lot of trimming involved, both the OAL of the case, and the rim. Still not as much work as swagging down 7.62 Nato though. Norma makes their ammo on the proper size case head now, but they must have a billion rounds of those undersized component cases to get rid of yet.