PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Mag Shot specs.

Canuck Bob
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Thought I would pass this along as the antimony content of Lawerence shot is important to me as I'm attempting to alloy a low antimony mix with #8and #9 shot. There are a number of threads but this info from BPI might be accurate. They list the antimony as 6% for sizes 7-8 1/2 and as 4% for sizes 6 and 9.

This makes sense as the smaller 9 is used for closer ranges and is a touch heavier as 4%. The other sizes are the favored sizes for longer handicaps for clay busting and shotgunners like thier shot hard for long range patterns.

I also found a test were a large amount of shot was tested for hardness. The Lawerence brand was the hardest of the brands tested.

Click on a shot bag to note antimony content.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lead-Magnum-Chilled/products/68/

Hardness test
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=205631&start=0

bumpo628
06-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Interesting, I have seen some sites say 4% and others 6%. I have just used 4% for my mixing calculations to keep it conservative. I'll have to add your info to my alloy calculator.

Shot sizes 6, 9: 4% antimony
Shot sizes 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5: 6% antimony

I think using 5% for reclaimed shot would be a good idea. You are getting a mix of mostly 7-8.5, but you're going to lose a little antimony in the process.

man.electric
06-29-2011, 06:35 AM
Bumpo, I assume all reclaimed shot to equal out to 3%. His figures only account for magnum shot and a lot of the super cheap ammo I use for target loads would be normal shot. On the other hand, many other trap shooters use magnum shot and most factory loads are mag shot these days. To err on the side of 50/50 I assume that reclaimed shot has 3% Sb and I add 3% Sn to produce a quasi-#2 alloy.

fecmech
06-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I also found a test were a large amount of shot was tested for hardness. The Lawerence brand was the hardest of the brands tested.

When the Eagle brand shot first came out in my area I tested it by melting some into a small half dollar ingot along with some Lawrence shot doing the same. I then squeezed a ball bearing between the two ingots in a vise. The indent in the Eagle ingot was smaller than the indent in the Lawrence which means the Eagle was harder than the Lawrence. IME as far as uniformity of shot size, West Coast brand was the best followed by Eagle than Lawrence.