PDA

View Full Version : 1886 rifles/carbines?

Stevie
06-28-2011, 10:12 AM
I've been kicking over the need for a modern .45-70 rifle. My current .45-70 is a good old musket...but it's old...a Trapdoor Springfield that was made in 1881.

I had been thinking really hard on buying a Sharps for more modern .45-70...but for the price of a Sharps...looks like I can get a Browning/Winchester 1886 rifle or carbine.

Digging the Browning and Winchester websites...I just see two models offered...a light rifle..and a short rifle. However I also see fellows gloating about saddle-ring carbines they've just bought..

I think I would like a plain grade 1 1886 SRC .45-70 carbine. Are these still cataloged by Winchester or Browning..or are they out of production?

Thanx..Stevie

Longwood
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I have been admiring the Sharps, Hiwall's, Martini's and other makes of big bore single shot rifles since way back in the 60's.
Long before I saw Quigley down under.
When I finally decided to get one a few months ago, I asked the dealer to check on a Sharps. When they told him I would have to wait another three months, that made up my mind for me.
I may own a Sharps some day, but for now I am real proud to take my Hiwall out of the case at the range.

Char-Gar
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
There are no flies on the new Marlin leverguns in 45-70. I have one with the 22" bbl, half magazine and pistol grip stock. It shoots cast bullets like a house-a-fire. You can load it from mild to retina detaching loads, depending on what you want.

Stevie
06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I own a Marlin Cowboy Competition 1894 in .45 Colt....it's undeniably a 'no flies' gun. Lots'a fun. I had considered a M1895 in 'Cowboy" trim to match the cool little short-rifle.

However seeing some pics online of a recent manufacture Browning SRC 1886 made me lusty for one of these....bur Browning doesn't show any 1886 models in the catalog...and Winchester's catalog show a short-rifle and a light rifle....the short rifle looking like a servicable deal to me if I can't scrounge up a carbine somewhere.

mack1
06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Only an opinion but if you are set on an 1886 look around for the browning, they do not have the rebounding hammer and all the extra parts that go with it. The rebounding hammer on my new win 1886 had to be removed for reliable ignition.

GL49
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Stevie,
Gunbroker.com has two Browning SRC's listed for auction, they are well built firearms. That's where I picked up mine, I like the looks of the 1886 SRC better than I like the appearance of the Marlin. Do you know if the Browning 1886 will stand up to the same load levels a Marlin will handle? I have never found anything that will give me a definite "yes" or "no".

KirkD
07-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Two nice possibilities are the Browning 1886 SRC and the new Winchester 86 Extra light. I have owned both and still own the Browning SRC. Both are outstanding rifles. The Browning was a limited run back in the 1990's but you can still find them on Gunbroker in excellent or NIB condition. My preference is the Browning SRC over the Winchester Extra Light, though it is close. The Browning has the original half cock and no tang safety. The Extra light has both. The SRC holds more rounds, but is a bit heavier than the extra light. Both beautiful rifles.

MtGun44
07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
The extra light has a kludged up redesign of the entire firing system. They
hollowed out the firing pin and added an internal locking rig. The hammer is
much lightened to work with the thumb safety, substantially reducing energy in the
ignition system. The hammer is rebounding, which means that it is actually
being retarded in the last 25% of it's fall by the mainspring, further reducing the
hammer energy.

Mine had LOTS of misfires and severe vertical stringing (20" at 100 yds!!) due to
inconsistent ignition. The local factory service fired three rounds of factory .45-70
without problem, said it was my reloads (the only gun of MANY that has a problem)
and if I wanted it fixed they could send it to BELGIUM with a 3-4 month turn around
time and MAYBE something would be fixed.

I said forget it and have reworked it enough to make it "usable". I DO NOT
recommend the new improved lawyered up mess of a redesign. It is a shame
because it is a beautiful looking and handling rifle, just doesn't go bang very well,
apparently a minor inconvenience as far as the redesigners were concerned.

Also, the old style firing pin will not fit, hammer MIGHT, don't know. I am seriously
considering making my own solid firing pin in the new shape, as the locking plunger
absorbs a lot of the limited hammer blow.

Stick with the original John Browning design.

Four Fingers of Death
07-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Chiappa 1886 rifles are available here now. The long barrelled ones are here, but not the carbines. I haven't seem them yet, what are they like?

missionary5155
07-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Good morning
I have a jap made 1886 Lightweight and it is a very well made rifle easy to haul about all day long. Barrel is very well made and unform in diameter. Chamber is not oversized and groove is right at .457+ so any cast boolit mold will work. Shoots everything I tried well. I generally pack it with 325-350 grainers at 1500-1750 fps. I would fear no critter with that rifle in my hands. I put a receiver sight on it and that makes a very fast sighting powerful easy to carry light rifle.
Watch GB as they show up all the time.. some used ones in 95%+ sell for very nice prices.
Mike in Peru

Stevie
07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
I lowered my sights some..and bought a Rossi stainless 92 in .44 mag.

Think I'll save up my bucks and liberate a Browning SRC next...I looked at a Winchester M1886 short rifle..and was only so-so impressed with it in person...the Browning's look to be a bit slicker product.

Had lever gun fever so bad at the gunstore....I didn't make it past the Rossi rack[smilie=b:

missionary5155
07-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Greetings Rossi´s generally will do what is needed. You may have an individual rifle that needs attention to get it to mechanicly flow along but hey it did not cost upwards of $800 used either. I have two (45 Colt) .. one is like honey.. the other still needs another bath in valve grinding paste to lessen a tight spot as the lever closes.
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
07-03-2011, 08:24 AM
The Rossis are very hard to go past. I have a 38/357 (it is the rifle in my avitar) and a 44Mag. If you don't want to use a scope, these are the bee's knees! They are rough and ready and need a bit of finishing, thats all.

Longwood
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I sure like my little Rossi in 45 Long Colt.
I have never had a fairly inexpensive gun for more than a few days without taking it apart to see how it was made and to polish the inerds.
My Rossi is smoother than my friends 94 John Wayne Commemorative.

NickSS
07-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I have an original 1886 light weight rifle in 45-70 with a half amgazine. It is a good shooter and nice to carry compared to the standard 1886. The only problem with this rifle and why I could afford it, was that a former owner had tried to do his own engraving on it and it is crude to say the least but a good shootable 1886 that cost me only $900 is hard to beat these days.

2shot
07-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I have the Winchester Extra Light w/rebound hammer and saftey. There was an article in Rifle Magazine that showed how to alter the new parts to get reliable ignition. Mine didn't have any ignition problems but I did it anyway and never regreted it.

I looked long and hard at the Marlin's because of their avalibility but I'm glad I held out for the Winchester EL. Sweet handling and good shooting rifles!

2shot