PDA

View Full Version : Rechambered Martini Cadet

L Ross
06-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Tried to add to a previous post but when I tried to submit it failed. Here's the short version, hope it helps shooters with rifles like mine.
Just bought a rechambered Cadet in 32-20. Seller said it shot poorly with 32-20 unless paper patch to larger dia. due to .318" groove dia.
I shortened 32-20 brass to 1.212" expanded them with 32-40 RCBS Cowboy die expander. I loaded a Hensley&Gibbs 116 .323 round nose boolit that weighs 101 gr. lubed and sized to .322 over 4.0 gr. of Unique. I fired 2 of them on paper from an elbow rest on the window sill at 25 yds and they went into the same hole near the point of aim. Fire formed they look like a straight walled case. I can relaod them without sizing, the boolits are a firm slip fit. This is going to be fun. Seldom get that lucky that easily.

Duke

leadman
06-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Yes, you are lucky! glad the chamber had the room to let the cases expand.

Wonder if it was actually rechambered to 32-20?

bydand
06-28-2011, 10:20 PM
So you found out the 32-20 bullets were undersized. Basicaly you re-created the .310 round which uses a heeled bullet like a .22. The heel fitting into the case and the rest being bore diameter.

L Ross
06-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Leadman, I have the material to do a chamber cast and planned to do so if the first dummy mock up round wouldn't have fit. The barrel is neatly marked 32-20 on the flat directly in front of the receiver. bydand, I would actually have preferred to have an unaltered .310 however as it has worked out I am more than satified. I spent some time Tuesday with a friend plinking with it offhand at 50 yds. now using 4.0 gr of Trailboss and it is a joy. We kept using the same 5 fireformed cases, de and repriming, dumping in the Trailboss, and seating another bullet in the unsized cases. The very neat windage and elevation adjustable rear sight is at the lowest setting and the point of impact is dead on at 50 yds. The bullet from the H&G mold was described to me as being for the 8 m/m Nambu.

Duke

leadman
06-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Sounds like you have it all working properly, so have fun with it.