PDA

View Full Version : RCBS sizing die in Lyman 450

madsenshooter
06-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Because Grafs was out of stock on .244 size dies, and because I have a bullet with only one lube groove, I bought an RCBS brand. What's the story with these things? It doesn't swage the gas check on until it's way down in there. And, the bullet doesn't get a straight start it sizes one side more the other. Didn't take me long to pull it out of there and go back to my Lyman .243. I can see it has more a taper going in, looks like I could start a 6.5 boolit down into it no problem. Yes, I can, but I doubt the 450 would provide enough force to size it. Someone shoulda told me!

nanuk
06-28-2011, 08:21 AM
if it can enter of kilter, I'd assume you would need to tweek the sizer so the nose punch is EXACTLY in line with the lube die so it would hold it straight upon sizing the GC.

interesting, as many support the idea of a loose nose punch so everything can self align...

RCBS Paradox....

I look forward to the discussion on this.
I know I will learn a lot if this thread takes off

btroj
06-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I have used RCBS dies in my Lyman in the past with no troubles. I bet 1/2 of mine are RCBS.

Maybe nobody told you because isn't a common issue? Did you measure the finished bullet to see if the die is actually the size it is supposed to be? Call RCBS customer service, bet they take good care of you. Very good care.