PDA

View Full Version : Linotype % arsenic?

mikeg1005
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm in the middle of casting bullets as we speak.

My next batch is going to be used in my Blackhawk in 45 colt for magnum velocities... 200gr and 255gr.

I have pure lead and linotype... typically mix it 1 part lino, 2 parts lead, or a little more lead for 9mm/45acp, minor/major loads... it comes out to about 12BNH from my guestimation.

I read into it and everyone recommends 16-18BHN for bullets to be launched at magnum velocities with slower burning powders (universal for 200gr, H-110 for 255gr)

I really don't want to use up my linotype and wanted to know if there is enough arsenic in linotype to allow for proper water quenching? I know it has to be less than 1%, but on certain if there is any in linotype or not.

If anyone could give me a quick response or tell me a better alloy that would be great.

I was going to do 3 parts lead to 1 part linotype and then water drop them to get in the area of hardness I want.

The 255gr will ultimately be my deer load for out to 100yards... shooting for 1200-1300fps using H-110.

Thanks,

Mike.

imashooter2
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
There is no arsenic in linotype.

mikeg1005
06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Will there be any hardness increase by quenching them or am I out of luck? Unfortunately I used up all my weigh weights. :sad:

MIke.

sargenv
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I kind of thought that water quenched anything with antimony would be harder than air cooled same alloy? I haven't played with anything like this lately.. so I may be mistaken..

Defcon-One
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I agree with sargenv!

I am sure that Arsenic aids the water quenching/hardening process, but an alloy with Antimony and no Arsenic can be hardened by water quenching! You have about 4% Antimony and 1.3% Tin in your mix at 1 part lino to 2 parts pure lead. Also, 12 BHN is a pretty good guess for your alloy without queching.

Water quenching/hardening should work fine.

Update: I checked my RCBS Cast Bullet Manual and it says that all Lead/Antimony alloys can be heat treated. It also says that the best range for heat treating is 2.5% to 6% Antimony. So, you're right in the sweet spot!

madsenshooter
06-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Actually, I have a type metal reference, I can't recall where I got it, but almost all of them contain .06% As. Linotype has a bit more according to the chart, .08%. Though generally viewed as an alloy of three elements, there was often five elements in the typemetal, two were just relatively insignificant. As and Cu are the other two.

lwknight
06-28-2011, 08:44 AM
While arsenic in itself can harden lead some , its main role is to speed up the aging hardening process of antimonial lead alloys. Arsenic is definately not required for hardening of quenched or air cooled bullets. Air cooled bullets will harden by by themselves over several weeks and if quenched , will harden even more ( a lot more actually ) and a little arsenic will reduce the time required dramatically.

mikeg1005
06-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Learn something new everday. Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to use my 12BHN alloy I use now, resize them, heat them in the oven, water drop and lube... I read little online and it seems that as long as I keep the oven temps around 400-425* I'll be able to get them up to around 16BHN so they will still be soften enough to deform when used on game.

Thanks,

Mike.

sargenv
06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I didn't know about water quenching the first time I cast bullets, and I didn't know about age hardening.. I cast the bullets, lubed, and shot them within a few days and wondered why they leaded..

I then came here and read up on lots of things, water quenched the bullets right from the mold, sized and lubed, and then waited a couple weeks. I then loaded the same alloy.. and what do ya know.. no leading.. neat :)