PDA

View Full Version : Comments on a LWD ported barrel for a Glock 17.

Pete P
06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Comments on a lone wolf distributors ported barrel for a Glock 17.

I have approximately 10,000 rounds of mostly cast boolits through my Glock. The barrel shows a little bit of leading after approximately 250 rounds. It's no big deal. I was thinking about customizing my Glock and was looking for opinions on this barrel. Will it increase its accuracy? And how much will the porting help? Also I'm thinking about replacing the connector with one of the better 3 1/2 pound connectors.

subsonic
06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Ports can be a problem with cast boolits, shaving and blowing lube out before the boolit exits. Sometimes this is not a problem, but be aware of it.

Accuracy may or may not increase with a new barrel. It depends on how well the stock barrel shoots. I have a 10mm G20 that shoots well enough that I doubt a factory barrel will help it with jacketed. I don't know about lead as I don't have an aftermarket barrel and don't have a mould for this caliber. Store bought lead is terrible in it.

People are split on the connectors. I do not like them. The trigger pull seems much mushier and creepier with the ones I've felt. My older gun seems to have a lighter "5.5lb" trigger than the current ones. I prefer a crisp, clean breaking, but heavier trigger pull for best accuracy.

More than likely the best thing you can do to improve the accuracy of your Glock is to learn to shoot it to it's limits. Then start modifying if you find it necessary.

How well does it shoot now from a good rest?

I shot a G22RTF the other day that was horrible.... bad trigger and very poor accuracy. I don't know if one caused the other or if it was ammo related, but I was sure dissappointed with the groups it made at 7yds. With a good gun I have no problem keeping all shots touching at 7yds from a weaver stance.

Ausglock
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
G'day Pete.
I used to run a G17 9mm race gun for IPSC Open Division.
It had a Stormlake threaded barrel fitted with a Jager 4 port comp.
Carver mount with a C-More slideride sight.
I only shot lead bullets in it at Major power factor.

You do nee to run a lighter recoil spring. Glocks don't like having anything hanging off the end of the barrel.

I was running a 11lb recoil spring. The best connector is a Ghost rocket with a ZEV trigger & bar.

HammerMTB
06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I have had trouble with the short (really non-existent) leade in LWD Glock bbls. I would suggest Storm Lake. I have them and am very happy with them.
They are ported and yes, lead can and does build up in them. Not a lot, but some. I can't say it is a big negative on accuracy, but it must have some effect. It seems everything is a trade-off.

thegreatdane
06-28-2011, 01:07 AM
I'd like to suggest KKM. Great barrels.