PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Condiment cups ROCK!!!

maglvr
06-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Hi Folks:
First time posting here, but naturally I have been lurking and reading.
I have been reloading for a few years, but have just started smelting WW and casting.
There is a LOT of great info on this site! When I read of the stainless condiment cups from W/M for $.86/4 I thought "no way it can work!"
About an hour later my wife said she was headed to W/M and was there anything I needed :smile:
Had her pick up 5 pks. of them.
I took a scrap of 2x8 and placed the cups where I wanted them, then drove in 3 small nails to support each cup, I could see myself knocking over the whole dozen and making a bigtime mess:groner: this way they stay put until I move them.
For those in doubt of 86 cent cups, let me say this................BUY THEM!!!
Each holds just over 1.25lbs( on my 60 yr old scale) of WW if filled to the top.
Still doubtful, I grabbed the first one and flipped it over, BANG! the ingot dropped on the tailgate before I could even tap it!
They are sure a great bargain in my eyes, and THANKS to you folks who mentioned them!!!
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/maglvr/ingotcups.jpg

Combat Diver
06-27-2011, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the site and excellent first post.

CD

Le Loup Solitaire
06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad that the cups have worked out for you. The smelting board and the three nails to stabilize the cups when pouring are all a great idea that others will be glad that you shared. The easiest way to mark the ingots for ID is with a felt pen of different colors with symbols such as WW or L(lino) or any other info you need. Or you can also stamp them with one of those steel sets that are sold in Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Have a great day. LLS

Doc Highwall
06-27-2011, 11:43 AM
You can also store them in ammo cans or other container and mark the container.

Longwood
06-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Walmart sells a set of BBQ tongs that are made from wire that have bent triangles on the ends and wood handles. They work well for handling those cups and the ingots.

maglvr
06-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome and compliments!!
Permanent markers are something I could not live without, I mark everything with them.

skeet1
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I purchased two cast iron muffin pans which work great but had I seen the condiment cups I would have bought them. It looks like they make about the same size ingot for a lot less money.

Ken

bobthenailer
06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
i use those handy SS cups sometimes for ingots but mostley i put one under my casting pots spout to capture the occasional dripping from the spout when the moulds not there.

mold maker
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I once purchased a personal sized cast loaf bread pan. It was 12 cav, and I thought it cost a little much for shipping. Turned out to be 12 cav, but weighed 21 lbs. It was mostly 3/8" thick and rough as a cob. It's now an collectible, and the Wally World condiment cups are used regularly.
Who need a 21lb mold that holds 33lbs of lead. I aint that young anymore.

Tammany42
06-29-2011, 07:04 AM
How about using two boards? Both with holes sized for a snug fit for the cups. Fill up all the cups in the first board. Then fill the second and the first should be ready to empty by turning over the board. I'm just sayin'

deltaenterprizes
06-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Many thanks for that tip. Welcome to this site!

Shooter6br
06-29-2011, 04:54 PM
3/4 in plywood. 2 in hole saw and some scrap molding and time

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
I am using those SS condiment cups under my bottom pour pot to hold the drips. That idea was suggested by my wife, who does not know a bullet mold from a bread mold, go figure

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

maglvr
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Got to love options, great ideas!!
I believe I will be making some like that.
Thanks!!

Mal Paso
06-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I went to 3 Wall Marts in California and one in Phoenix AZ. NO STAINLESS CONDIMENT COPS.:-(

Mal Paso
06-30-2011, 10:41 PM
So I welded one of these. Now I want MORE!

Longwood
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I went to 3 Wall Marts in California and one in Phoenix AZ. NO STAINLESS CONDIMENT COPS.:-(

I went overboard when I found them.
I have 24 that I will never need.
I will give them to the first person that has looked for them but could not find any and speaks up.
Must be willing to pay postage for them.

Fixxah
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
So I welded one of these. Now I want MORE!

Did you use 1-1/4" angle? I made a few 5 cavity molds that are 10" long.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

SlimTim
06-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I will give them to the first person that has looked for them but could not find any and speaks up.

Nice offer! I looked for them . . . . . . . but I found them. Anyone can check wallyworlds in their area from the web page. You may have to be logged in to a wallyworld.com account, I'm not certain:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Condiment-Cups/14964954

SlimTim

waksupi
07-01-2011, 12:27 AM

They only have copper cops!

As for cups, if not available local, order online from them.

Roger Ronas
07-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I'd take them if you can do paypal. I'll add enough to cover %fees.
I looked for them, used to see them but now there gone. Don'yt know if they'll get more.
Thanks
Roger

Longwood
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd take them if you can do paypal. I'll add enough to cover %fees.
I looked for them, used to see them but now there gone. Don'yt know if they'll get more.
Thanks
Roger

I am on this sight to get and give good advise and ideas, not make money.
Since I don't need them, they are now basically scrap to me. I would rather send them to someone that can use them as a favor than collect any money for them.
However, if you plan on trying to turn around and sell them to make money, then they are $1 each.
Send me a private message with your address. I will send them to you. When you see what it me cost to send them, mail me that amount in any form you wish.
I buy a lot with paypal but do not know how to collect funds with it.

For you guys that are having a hard time finding them at Walmart, I have noticed they often get slid back to the back of lower shelves where they are hard to find. I have seen that at a couple different stores.

Roger Ronas
07-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Thank you Longwood,
Paypal was just an option if you wanted postage upfront. I only use pp as I am legally blind and don't drive to get to USPS for MO.
I will pm with address. You will receive funds when I see how much to send. I thank you for your help. I too am always looking for quality advise and of course try to offer what I can, when I can.
Roger

I am on this sight to get and give good advise and ideas, not make money.
Since I don't need them, they are now basically scrap to me. I would rather send them to someone that can use them as a favor than collect any money for them.
However, if you plan on trying to turn around and sell them to make money, then they are $1 each.
Send me a private message with your address. I will send them to you. When you see what it me cost to send them, mail me that amount in any form you wish.
I buy a lot with paypal but do not know how to collect funds with it.

For you guys that are having a hard time finding them at Walmart, I have noticed they often get slid back to the back of lower shelves where they are hard to find. I have seen that at a couple different stores.

Fishman
07-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Anybody try just nailing or screwing the cups to the board? It seems to me that a panhead screw wouldn't prevent the ingot from releasing out of the cup. I need to get me some of those.

Longwood
07-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Anybody try just nailing or screwing the cups to the board? It seems to me that a panhead screw wouldn't prevent the ingot from releasing out of the cup. I need to get me some of those.

That is exactly what I finally did. I used the screws they use for metal studs because they have a low profile and have a built in washer. Plus,,, that is what I had on hand.

zuke
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I've seen these cup's at the local dollar store's.
3 for a buck I believe

milprileb
07-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Well Lads, if you are down and out with no cups, Wally sells a Lodge USA made cast iron
corn stick pan, 7 cavities and its $10.99 delivered and picked up at any Wallmart. Order it off their internet site. The corn stick pan does not tip over, nice solid cast iron and lasts a life time.

ErikO
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Also, check garage sales for corn bread pans. I'm kicking myself for not getting a pan that made 6 wedge-shaped johnnycakes in an 8" circle like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Cornbread-Scone-Wedge-Pan/6005457

It was $5. :(

Sonnypie
08-01-2011, 05:13 PM
If anybody is still looking...
I found a dozen on Amazon for $7.50 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K9WTLO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00009PGUQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18D4KXR90VTH7G0ANE9N)
(Plus that damnable shipping fees)
I have 2 of these I, ahem, "procured" along the way. I use them as medicine cups for my meds. At least one of them is going to the shop... probably both.:wink:

Hi, I'm brand new here myself.
I have casting stuff in the mail as we speak.
When I was a kid, Dad got me a toy soldier casting outfit. That was a blast!
Until the day I spilled a ladle of lead and it got my bare feet. :veryconfu
Holy Hannah! Burned, but I was really fast bout dancing and shaking myself clear of that stuff! Live and learn, never forgot that little OOPS! I was 7 or 8.

I use to smoke my molds with candle smoke so the soldiers would release.
Does anybody do that here with your boolit molds?

Lee Pro 4 20# furnace, Lee dies, and a Lee sizer set en route.

Going to load some light stuff for the 30-06 to get the Grandson started on big bore shooting. [smilie=1:

Sonnypie
08-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Found more and different sizes.

1.5 Oz. (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-5-oz-stainless-steel-sauce-cup-12-pack/4847234.html)
2.5 Oz. (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2-5-oz-stainless-steel-sauce-cup-12-pack/92246713.html)
4 Oz. (http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-oz-stainless-steel-sauce-cup/124MB4.html)

I like to browse this restaurant supplier occasionally and see what the big boys use.

Mal Paso
08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Did you use 1-1/4" angle? I made a few 5 cavity molds that are 10" long.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

2" Angle Iron 7 inches long. Makes a 4 pound Ingot. I should have checked this thread sooner. The cups are really tempting but Ingots are easier to add to a hot pot and now that I got 1 ingot mold, more are on The List.:D

Next time I will angle the end cuts for better ingot release. The first mold I had limited material on hand so I did strait cuts and flared the ends for better release.

dsbock
09-30-2014, 10:45 PM
I seem to have a habit of ressurecting old threads. When I went to the Walmart website I was told:

"This product is not currently available for pickup at any Walmart stores in your area."

Which kind of sucks.

David

dsbock
09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
I also found these on Amazon

1.5 Oz Stainless Steel Sauce Cups (Case of 12) (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UNE11C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SV2NAJ8T9A01&coliid=I2KUQV9PU8MS2L) Eligible for free shipping but not Amazon Prime.

and these

Stainless Steel Sauce Cup 1-1/2-oz. Capacity (Pack of 12) (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG9F44/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SV2NAJ8T9A01&coliid=I2G2U1GV80MGAX) Eligible for Amazon Prime

I think smaller cups will be better for mixing in alloying metals such as pewter.

David

seaboltm
10-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Wow, this is raising the dead! BTW, whats wrong with plain old muffin tins?

dsbock
10-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Wow, this is raising the dead! BTW, whats wrong with plain old muffin tins?

Many muffin tins these days have individual cups held in a six-pack like frame instead of a single pressed unit. They also often have some type of non-stick coating. If the lead/lino/pewter/etc sticks in the cups, you'll destroy the entire muffin tin getting the ingots out.

Stainless steel condiment cups come in a number of sizes and can be utilized in a variety of ways. In addition, the molten metal will not weld itself to the container as has happened to many of us.

A simple (and cheap) solution to a regularly occurring problem.

David

el34
10-01-2014, 07:44 PM
I bought a bunch of these a year ago, 4 for 99c, and used them for a while to make ingots. They were a little clumsy so I went back to muffin pans but now I use 1 or 2 with each batch I smelt. The ingot bottoms are smooth and flat and make good surfaces for hardness testing. Soon as the unknown lead is sufficiently melted and stirred I scoot the floaties around enough to ladle out some and pour an ingot about 1/2" deep. While it's cooling (few minutes) I flux the pot, skim off the junk, and as soon as the little ingot cools I measure its hardness, plug that into the calculator, and know how much lino and solder to add to the pot to get my 12.5BHN 2%tin casting alloy before ladling up the muffins.

ubetcha
10-15-2014, 07:50 AM
What isle or department are these cups in?. I could not find them in one of my local stores. Of course, after I when on the web site, I found out that that they are not available at two store near me.

VHoward
10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Usually in the aisle with all the utensils in the kitchen ware section.
I have found that these condiment cups come and go at the local Wal Mart. Keep checking.

dsbock
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
I received mine in the mail yesterday. Ordered them off Amazon. A dozen 1-1/2-ounce stainless steel condiment cups for $4.69 delivered.

These: Update International SC-15 Stainless Steel Sauce Cup, 1-1/2-Ounce (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UNE11C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Half of them will be used for pewter or tin for alloying. The other half will go to the lady of the house.

David

G. Blessing
10-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks for digging up the older thread fellows! I hadn't seen this before. Gotta get me some this week.

2wheelDuke
10-19-2014, 11:54 PM
I could use another pack or two of these. The girlfriend saw them and now she wants some to use for dipping sauces of all crazy things.

jabo52521
10-20-2014, 02:38 AM
Anybody try just nailing or screwing the cups to the board? It seems to me that a panhead screw wouldn't prevent the ingot from releasing out of the cup. I need to get me some of those.119652
Scrap aluminum and panhead bolts plus 6 inches of wife's mop handle.119653