PDA

View Full Version : Indoor range scrap

dieguy59
06-27-2011, 02:32 AM
So I smelted my first indoor range scrap. I'd fill the pot up and scoop 1/2 - 2/3 of the volume off as jackets, smoldering cardboard/wood chips and sand. What alloy I did get was nice. Boy was I glad for a lid when things stated to pop and snap in the pot! I know it is hard to know how much to expect, but is this abnormal for range scrap? I shouldn't whine too much it was free.

t_dickinson
06-27-2011, 07:58 AM
I smelt alot of indoor scrap so no pops as the boolits break on the steel backstop.

I get about 2/3 alloy and the rest is dirt, dust, and copper.

:cry:I have 5 gallons of the waste but haven't figured out how to seperate the copper so I will likely toss it.

imashooter2
06-27-2011, 08:07 AM
I've been living of indoor range scrap for years now. Mine is pulverized on a steel backstop as well, so never any popping. My yield is usually 70-75%. No one around here will touch the jackets, so I throw them away. Here's what mine looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/scrap600.jpg

dieguy59
06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Mine doesn't look so bad when I pour it out and have a quick look at it. But the resulting little pile of ingots is always less than I had hoped for. I looked at all the jackets, trying to figure out a proverbial silver lining for my self and just ended up tossing them, as well. There are a few more pails available. Maybe the percentage will change.

Thanks for sharing.

xr650
06-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Your jackets and carboard etc. are fluffy.
If you weigh your scrap you will see a better yield.
It's a mind game thing, but it might make you feel better. :razz:

dieguy59
06-27-2011, 09:38 AM
xr650, I appreciate your attempt at easing my pain. The pails I loaded in the van were heavy, the pile of ingots I got out of them were not. Haha

zomby woof
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
I get the same results, about 25% scrap. I did have a round go off on me once. Always start from a cold pot, never add. The stuff I get is nice. I mix 50/50 with WW and get a nice alloy, stretches my WW's out.

a friend brought in his jackets and was given low grade brass price, 1.60 per pound.

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
I get low grade brass price too. $1.75 / lb. But who cares, its free money.

I turned in 40 lbs last week. made the trip worth while.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

dieguy59
06-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I always start from a cold pot and use a old disker blade for a lid. I will be working on smaller batches as all the crud slows down the process. Maybe I'll see if I can get anything for the jackets, worth a try. zomby, that is the ratio for a ally I will be using aswell.