PDA

View Full Version : Undersized lee mold

emorris
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
I have good luck from the lee two cavity molds in various calibers and I never had a problem with them other than the usual sticky bullets and such. Today I tried my new lee TL452-230-2r mold with wheel weigh alloy and I am getting undersized bullets. They are dropping around .448-.450 and I need them to be .452, but may be able to get by with .451. The bore on my 1911 slugged at .451. I have used the same alloy with my other lee molds (smelted in large pot) and all have came out bigger than the advertised diameter. I played with the heat setting, pace of casting, and also tried water dropping. I have never delt directly with lee percision, but I do think that I have no other choice but to send the mold back. Just asking for advice on what to do. I also tried lappping the mold with some comet and spinning a bullet in the cavity, but it didnt help with the size, only helped with bullet dropping

Ben
06-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Send it back, Lee will gladly send you a new one.

I just ordered 2 molds from Lee about 10 days ago. They were not suitable, I called them - - they said to return them.

They gladly refunded my money.

Ben

swheeler
06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I have good luck from the lee two cavity molds in various calibers and I never had a problem with them other than the usual sticky bullets and such. Today I tried my new lee TL452-230-2r mold with wheel weigh alloy and I am getting undersized bullets. They are dropping around .448-.450 and I need them to be .452, but may be able to get by with .451. The bore on my 1911 slugged at .451. I have used the same alloy with my other lee molds (smelted in large pot) and all have came out bigger than the advertised diameter. I played with the heat setting, pace of casting, and also tried water dropping. I have never delt directly with lee percision, but I do think that I have no other choice but to send the mold back. Just asking for advice on what to do. I also tried lappping the mold with some comet and spinning a bullet in the cavity, but it didnt help with the size, only helped with bullet dropping

It happens, but not only Lee makes undersized molds. I would send it back to them and they will replace it with one that casts a bullet large enough, I have had good luck with their customer service.

06-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Some time ago, I bought two Lee moulds, from Midway, and they both dropped too small. Midway gladly took them back and issued credit...even for the return postage. A recently purchashed Lee mould is perfect.

ColColt
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
What's with these mold companies? RCBS, Lee and of course, Lyman seem to all be making molds undersized prompting you to either have to call/email and send them back or beagle them. It seems the best policy is to just have one custom made to your specification and you have no surprises awaiting you.

OuchHot!
06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I hope that I am wrong, but I suspect that the larger firms make most of their money on everything but molds. So, given the challenging economics, they let the tooling wear a little more. I suspect it is simply a business decision.

emorris
06-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Mold was shipped back to lee today along with a full length 270 winchester sizing die that was scoring my brass. Hopefully the turnaround wont be too long