PDA

View Full Version : Greener shotgun

lapierre1
06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Friend of mine just got a Greener Martini action shotgun at an auction. Kindasorta a cartridge gun even if it shoots shot as opposed to a solid boolit. Any thoughts on where to get brass, loads to use as far a powder and weight? Any project we really needed. Goes right along with the S&W 1 1/2 we got at the same time.

doubs43
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Friend of mine just got a Greener Martini action shotgun at an auction. Kindasorta a cartridge gun even if it shoots shot as opposed to a solid boolit. Any thoughts on where to get brass, loads to use as far a powder and weight? Any project we really needed. Goes right along with the S&W 1 1/2 we got at the same time.

IF it's the police shotgun issued to Indian troops, it uses a 12 gauge based brass shell that's necked down to 14 gauge. It will also have a firing pin with prongs on each side that enter a recess in the base of the shell allowing the central pin to reach the primer. As issued, only the special shells would work in it which was supposed to prevent others from using them. In reality, the prongs would be broken off and the chamber opened to accept 12 gauge shells.

I once had a very nice one that had the prongs missing already. A friend turned a steel adapter on his lathe that took 20 gauge shells and it worked beautifully. It's another gun I wish I hadn't sold. I had an FFL at the time and sold a bunch of them to people who wanted the actions to rebarrel to BP cartridges. I had one made up in 38-55 and it shot quite accurately.

ambergrifleman
06-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company, Makes Brass for Them ! Pricey Too !

herbert buckland
06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
It realy depends on what modle Greener Martini you have,as stated some have odd chamberings and double point fiering pins but most comercial and police Greener GPs are chamberd for the standard 12 guage cartridge

doubs43
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
It realy depends on what modle Greener Martini you have,as stated some have odd chamberings and double point fiering pins but most comercial and police Greener GPs are chamberd for the standard 12 guage cartridge

Exactly. The 14 gauge shotguns I described were issued to colonial police and troops for riot control. An effort was made to make them useless to anyone except those "trusted" individuals who were issued the special ammunition. They were imported in quantity between 15 & 20 years ago. Some ammunition was also brought in. Collectors took the better examples while less desirable guns were frequently converted. They used the large Martini action and had a safety that could be removed but left a hole in the receiver wall that required plugging. My records show that I sold more than 20 of them around 1993.

RMulhern
06-28-2011, 01:11 AM
:killingpc:groner:[smilie=b: