PDA

View Full Version : Is this mono or lino

lastborn
06-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I got this from Will. Is it mono or lino or both please?
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af116/saak_photos/100_9847-1.jpg
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af116/saak_photos/100_9847.jpg
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af116/saak_photos/100_9850.jpg
In the third picture-- bottom left--the two black blocks--they don't feel like metal--they feel like fiber blocks with metal wording--they are very light weight?
thanks

clodhopper
06-26-2011, 08:17 PM
It's not linotype, it is either mono type or foundry type.

runfiverun
06-26-2011, 09:04 PM
the bent strips in the top pic are lino, the ones with holes are lino spacers [my favorite way to get it]
the block letters [like the 8 ] could be either.
the big squares on the bottom left are usually mono-type and the small letters are usually lino.
if they are spacers with small notches they have been somewhat harder for me like a mixture of the two.
if what you show is all you have i'd mix it all together [except the soft blocks which might be zinc implanted]
and use it as linotype.

HARRYMPOPE
06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
big block squares on bottom left with small letters are not from the letter press printing process.Mono and lino were all "type high" thickness

mono was for the letters that were reused such as section pages and lino was for the standard small type.Both were pressed onto soft mats and then cast ona radius form with stereotype that mounted directly to the press rollers for printing.

HMP

Tom W.
06-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Interesting.......Pictures from the future? :kidding:

btroj
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
That or we live in the past.

From what I understand the long, thin pieces are Lino. The small, single piece in a pile are mono.

In the end, it is all pretty hard.

imashooter2
06-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Wasn't there a thread recently where the metal face on the wood / fiber base was not a lead / tin /antimony alloy, but some thing else as yet to be determined and unsuitable for casting?

Longwood
06-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I guess i will be going back to the recycle tomorrow.
I saw several bars with holes like the ones in the photo but left them because they were so hard.
At 40 cents a pound, I guess I need them.

Longwood
06-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Wasn't there a thread recently where the metal face on the wood / fiber base was not a lead / tin /antimony alloy, but some thing else as yet to be determined and unsuitable for casting?

I had some 3/4" thick pieces of what I thought were linotype or monotype with newspaper ads from the 60's. When I melted them, one had a piece of thin material that I believe was either brass or copper that covered a portion of the face.

bumpo628
06-27-2011, 02:05 AM

I think this was the post you're talking about:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=118415

MikeS
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Be carefull with those very thin pieces that are irregularly shaped, they might be zinc! I ruined about 30# of linotype by melting it all together! Just today I gathered up those ingots I cast, along with some other lead I had here that was poisoned with lead, and melted them all together, then let the pot cool, and dumped out a single 49# 'ingot'. I gave it to a friend to take to the scrap yard, they're paying $0.45/lb for lead, so she'll get a few bucks out of it, and I'm glad to get that stuff as far away from me as possible!

Longwood
06-29-2011, 08:21 PM
I guess i will be going back to the recycle tomorrow.
I saw several bars with holes like the ones in the photo but left them because they were so hard.
At 40 cents a pound, I guess I need them.

Well,,, I stopped at the local recycler again but there was only one of the long square bars with holes that I saw last time. I bought it and it tests out to be some type of type metal which I put back in my truck to use as a quickie hardness tester.
But,,,, I found a two pound coffee can that had about 150, 45 caliber muzzle loader balls, and 26, 1/4 pound linotype ingots.
I also picked out 9 diver weights, 2 of the hexagon shaped, 5 pound plumber lead ingots, 4 pounds of mixed solders and some huge fishing sinkers. All told, it came to 58 pounds for which they charged me $24.
I asked the Honcho if he drinks beer but he said no, so I told him I would bring them a Pizza next time I stop in.
He showed me a big tub that has at least 200 pounds of wheel weight, but I did not ask what he wants for it.