PDA

View Full Version : S&W 625 Convertible?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-25-2011, 03:25 PM
I am currently the proud owner of a S&W 625-3 in 45ACP/AR with a 5” underlug barrel. Shoots great and I love the fast reloads moonclips offer. However recently I purchased a 625 45colt cylinder from a forum member here and should receive it in the mail any day now. Ideally I would like to have this gun modified so that I can switch back and forth between the 45ACP and the 45colt. Is this a possible conversion?

I guess my main concerns are that there might be a difference in frame or cylinder lengths between the S&Ws chambered in 45ACP and those chambered in 45colt, making this sort of conversion cost prohibitive, or a “one way only” sort of conversion.

bhn22
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
The last I knew, 45 Colt & 45 ACP cylinders were different lengths. The 45 ACP cylinder is shorter at the front & rear, and the barrel protrudes further into the cylinder window. This may have changed by now.

Dale53
06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
2ndAmendmentNut;
"bhn22" has given you good information.

I have a couple of .45 ACP Model 625's. I mostly shoot the Mihec clone of the H&G #68 in light target loads (to the tune of 5000-7500 per year). However, a good heavy bullet load is the NOE clone of the Lyman 454424 driven safely to 900+fps with a load of Unique. This will give you a performance level of the old .45 Colt with a MUCH better shaped bullet and actually raises the game killing potential over the original .45 Colt. It's no .44 Magnum beater, but it sure does a fine job in that excellent platform (the 625 .45 ACP).

FWIW
Dale53

2ndAmendmentNut
06-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Alright thanks guys for the info. So basically in order to convert a 45ACP to 45Colt the barrel would have to be cut inside of the “cylinder window” allowing the longer 45Colt cylinder to fit inside. Obviously that would make it a “one way only” conversion.

Catshooter
06-25-2011, 07:10 PM
2nd,

bhn is correct. The way to go about this sort of thing is start with a Smith in 45 Colt. The get a .38 through 44 cal cylinder to convert to ACP.

But since you've started with the ACP and have a Colt cylinder coming, you'll have to get the new cylinder shortened on both ends and fitted to your frame. Can still be done. Your 45 Colt cylinder will be the length of the ACP one. It'll work, but you won't be able to chamber a Colt case with a Keith 452424 seated and crimped in the crimping groove. It'll have to be crimed over the front driving band or so.

Dale is correct. The Auto Rim case is a very efficient one. It can give you exactly what he says. It's no 45 Colt as loaded to max in some pistols but you can't load a Smith like a Ruger.

Good luck with which ever way you go.

Cat

Piedmont
06-26-2011, 12:11 AM
2nd,

bhn is correct. The way to go about this sort of thing is start with a Smith in 45 Colt. The get a .38 through 44 cal cylinder to convert to ACP.

Cat

That isn't going to work most of the time either. A .38 or .357 N frame cylinder will be short, like his ACP. A .44 Spl. cylinder will also be short. A .41 or .44 Mag cylinder will be long and can be converted and made into a convertible if you started with a gun in .45 Colt. It would have to be relieved at the back, including the star, though, to allow moon clips or auto rim brass.

Something else the OP could have done is bought a short cylinder (.38/.357/.44 Spl) and had it converted to .45 Colt and fitted to the gun. This would limit the OAL of his .45 Colt loads, though.

StrawHat
06-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Not sure if this is what you are thinking or want but several gunsmiths will cut the cylinder chambered for the 45 long Colt to accept moon clipped ACP rounds. And still handle the longer rimmed Colt. One cylinder would fit all three cartridges and even some extras (45 S&W, 45 Cowboy Special)

square butte
06-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I don't believe one cylinder can accomodate all three cartridges. The 45 colt and 45 acp have dimensions that are differnent enough that it's just not possible. ACP and auto rim - yes in the same cylinder. Hamilton Bowen is the authority on this type of conversion.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Thank you all for the replies, you all answered my questions perfectly.

StrawHat
06-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I don't believe one cylinder can accomodate all three cartridges. The 45 colt and 45 acp have dimensions that are differnent enough that it's just not possible. ACP and auto rim - yes in the same cylinder. Hamilton Bowen is the authority on this type of conversion.

Pinnacle does the work,

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

So does Clark and a couple of others.