PDA

View Full Version : 45 Through the Years

RobS
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
I just sent this pic to a CB member and figured the community here would enjoy as well. Here are most of the 45 cal boolits I've cast/shot throughout it all however there were a few that I didn't get samples of for my collection. Never the less, some of these boolits came from production molds while others were born from custom designed molds.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt206/RobS01/45calbulletsSM.jpg

:cbpour:[smilie=w:

2ndAmendmentNut
06-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice collection. Mind telling me more about the bottom right?

Carolina Cast Bullets
06-25-2011, 12:13 AM
upper left, 230 br TC Lee TL boolit, my go to for 45 ACP

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

RobS
06-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice collection. Mind telling me more about the bottom right?

That was a Lee group buy mold which started back in Nov. of 2006 and was called the Cayoots Wide, Flat and Kinda Heavy. Two crimp grooves with nose length of .376 and .426 and from WW alloy mine weighed in almost at 300 grains. It was a good accurate design and where as it was suppose to cast out at .455 mine only was .454 on the bottom drive band and .452-453 on the other bands. I needed a .454 bullet so it now belongs to a member here who uses it at .452 and loves it.

RobS
06-25-2011, 12:40 AM
upper left, 230 br TC Lee TL boolit, my go to for 45 ACP

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Correct and 5th from the left is the Lee traditional lube groove design that had the top of the block milled off to eliminate the darn bevel. My Dad now owns the 6 cavity traditional lube groove designed mold. I also found this boolit to be a very good option for many 45 autos.

jmsj
06-25-2011, 01:53 AM
RobS
I needed a .454 bullet so it now belongs to a member here who uses it at .452 and loves it.
It is the best .45 Colt bullet I have, I gave some to a gun and reloading store. owner friend of mine and he is shooting them out of his FA 45 Colt. I like to kid him about having a store full of bullets and he shoots my home made boolits
Thanks Rob.

2ndAmendment Nut,
If you would like to try some PM me.
jmsj

RobS
06-25-2011, 03:18 AM
RobS
It is the best .45 Colt bullet I have, I gave some to a gun and reloading store. owner friend of mine and he is shooting them out of his FA 45 Colt. I like to kid him about having a store full of bullets and he shoots my home made boolits
Thanks Rob.

2ndAmendment Nut,
If you would like to try some PM me.
jmsj

I wondered if you were going to chime in on the Cayoots boolit mold. :2_high5:

XWrench3
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
being a chrysler (mopar) guy for years and years, i especially appreciate the third from the left top row pentagon hollow point boolit. does it work as good as it looks? to bad i do not have a 45 colt. is it available in 44? and of course, if it is, what is it?

gray wolf
06-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Did I miss it ?
I don't see a #68 SWC---say it ain't so

RobS
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
being a chrysler (mopar) guy for years and years, i especially appreciate the third from the left top row pentagon hollow point boolit. does it work as good as it looks? to bad i do not have a 45 colt. is it available in 44? and of course, if it is, what is it?

The RCBS 45-270-SAA clone made by MiHec was designed with two sets of pins. One as you’ve seen is the pentagon HP’s and then there are smaller round HP pins for a traditional mushroom expansion. The 5 sided HP pins were meant to have the nose expand and then shed the peddles of the expansion shortly after impact leaving basically the body of the bullet to continue traveling through the game animal.

MiHec is doing a 44 H&G #503 Keith Run with the same HP pin setup.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=114860

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds

NOE also is running a 429421 GB run that may very well entail similar HP'ing. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=119766

There is also another option that slipped my mind. BRP molds can HP any of his designs; single, double or 4 cavity HP'ing.
So he could make you a 429421 Keith mold with however many cavities (up to 5) and then HP one cavity with a traditional fixture. Bruce can make you a HP mold only with a single cavity HP or there are the options for 2 or 4 cavity HP designed molds as well. He has a lot of flexibility and he’s not on a group buy schedule; order and get your mold in 2 weeks. The other HP boolit in my picture comes from a 4 cavity 453640 HP mold made by Bruce.

http://www.brp.castpics.net/P2.html

RobS
06-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Did I miss it ?
I don't see a #68 SWC---say it ain't so

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you but I have utilized the design. The #68 or the Lee variant that I shot is one I don't have in my samples along with the Lee TL 200 grain SWC and the Lee 200 grain RF. SWC's don't function worth a hoot in my XD so SWC molds have left the building so to speak for this caster/shooter.

MtGun44
06-25-2011, 06:16 PM
In my (harsh) opinion, the XD would leave prior to the SWCs! Apparently later XDs have
corrected what I consider to be a very serious design defect. Silly Euro gun designers!

Bill

RobS
06-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes, the XD lineup did fix the SWC feeding issues by putting a small bump on the underneith side of the slide. Not a big deal for me as I've never been a big fan of the SWC for the 45 auto and have shifted from them in the revolvers as well. I'm probably going to get a burn notice for saying that statement. When looking up at my collection though, no one can tell me I haven't shot SWC designs either so.............. to each his own.

ColColt
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I have a S&W 4506 bought back around 1990 and (knock on wood) it's never failed in any way regardless the ammo be it jacketed short nose bullets like the infamous "Flying Ashtray" to 200 gr SWC's. In fact, I think it would feed frozen green beans if I tried it. Love that pistol. It's the only auto that's ever taken a place under my pillow.

runfiverun
06-25-2011, 11:41 PM
i know rob has shot the h&g 68 at least 1-k of them....
just sayin :lol:

insanelupus
06-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Rob,

The Lee design you had the BB milled off of, what weight of bullet did it cast afterwards (and from what alloy)? Thanks.

RobS
06-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Rob,

The Lee design you had the BB milled off of, what weight of bullet did it cast afterwards (and from what alloy)? Thanks.

IIRC, the mold started out at 236 or 238 grains and I belive it lost a bit over 10 grains. All casting was with wheel weight alloy.

RobS
06-26-2011, 12:29 PM
i know rob has shot the h&g 68 at least 1-k of them....
just sayin :lol:

I have not shot much of the #68 boolit/the Lee copy out of the XD of course but yes in the past through the 1911's and even the stubby Lee TL 452-200-SWC boolits shot well in them.