PDA

View Full Version : Winchester M55

Freightman
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I have agreed to buy one of these and have no knowledge at all about an auto eject single shot .22 any information at all would be more than I have. The rifle is almost as new and I got it at a good price so!

scb
06-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Kind of a "odd" little rifle. Loads from the top, ejects out the bottom, and fires from an open bolt. IIRC.

Freightman
06-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I got the M55 today it is odd to say the least, but I took it out in the back yard with some super colibry I use for tree rat control and at 60' five shots in the same big hole about 1/2". of course you need to listen for the slug to hit before reloading to make sure it came out. I have found that the Super Colibry are sudden death to the tree rats as I only shoot at the eye and do not miss very often. Then the fun starts my little weeny dog pounces on them shakes them hard and lays them at my feet. Silent also, more than an air gun.

crash87
06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
I grew up shooting an M-55, 1st 22 I ever shot, and yes it is an interesting rifle. My Dad still has it and talking about rodent control, as kids myself and a few friends would go down the road to his grandfathers farm. We would load up with bird shot, and yes it's long enough to eject the empties. We would them open the door to the grainery stand at the ready, turn on the lights and shoot the rats, big freakn' rats, everywhere, it is one of those childhood memories I will never forget and sadly my son will never have the chance to experience.
Back to the 55, it does have one long lock time, that bolt has to fall a long way before it hits primer, also something else, another fond memory. When shooting don't hold your hand over the ejection port, that shell is plenty hot, or it was as I remember it. In fact, I let my younger brother shoot it and noticed his hand over the ejection port, of course I did not say anything, lessons learned.
Enjoy your rifle, and thanks for bringing it up on the forum, fond memories for sure.
crash87

Triggerhappy
07-01-2011, 03:50 AM
What's an M55 look like? Can you post a pic?

Freightman
07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Here it is:

pojv
07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
You have a fun little gun on your hands, I sold my 1st one and regretted it, and I now have 2 of them.
Phil

shooterg
07-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Got one too. A "full-automatic" single shot - Definitely good to learn follow through with !