PDA

View Full Version : Sizing dies and quality control?

Canuck Bob
06-24-2011, 05:45 AM
I need to buy a sizing die for a older RCBS LAM in .314. I've read up on them but am concerned about a couple issues.

Lyman is available but I'm a bit worried about QC after reading so many concerns for the moulds.

I'll be sizing the NOE 311316 GB bullet which is a 115 grainer PB in my mould. Would the Lyman dies work for this short bullet. the reason I'm asking is due to reports about the extra lube holes in Lyman dies.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56704

RobS
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Lyman sizing dies have had some QC issues but nothing like the recent molds. What do you mean by the extra lube holes in the Lyman dies? There are only two rows of holes in their current production dies. You can always purchase a Lyman die from a reputable place with a good return policy just in case the die doesn't size to the intended diameter. Another option is to have a custom die made to your boolits specs. Buckshot here can do this sort of job and probably a few other members here. I've had a Buckshot die; it was spot on and very well finished. His prices are fair for a custom die being just a bit over $30 IIRC (I don't know about $$$ for shipping to Canada though). Now-a-days I just hone a touch smaller die out if I need something that is an odd ball and can usually pick up a used one cheap.

montana_charlie
06-24-2011, 12:51 PM
the reason I'm asking is due to reports about the extra lube holes in Lyman dies.
Any holes that exist in the die below the depth of your bullet are sealed by the presence of the Ejector Pin.

CM

Canuck Bob
06-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I did contact buckshot but my needs are met by standard sizer dies and he is a busy guy.

Some of the threads mentioned that the Lyman dies can be a bit long regarding the location of the lube channels. I have done some more surfing and it seems only a concern with real small bullets and such. Some people just recommend a #4 or #5 shot to plug the holes if it happens that the lube smears over too much of the bullet.

Actually I am not finding many complaints about the sizing dies from Lyman. Miracle of miracles is that the dies I need are on the shelf locally at a doable price! Gun tool shopping tomorrow, gotta like that!! Only thing better is shooting on Sunday afternoon.

RobS
06-24-2011, 09:37 PM
You'll more than likely be fine and shot will work for plugging holes, I've done it on a few occasions where I couldn't get my front drive band sized without filling the crimp groove with lube so plugging the top row took care of the problem. I've also annealed dies, honed them to bigger diameters and even drilled other holes. I then re-tempered the die when I’m done modifying for strength and durability.

Mk42gunner
06-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Bob,

I have a recent Lyman .313" die that sizes boolits to .313" I was pleasantly suprised, no lapping necessary. It also works okay with a Lyman 311316.

Going from my experiance, I would have to say the .314" would be okay.

Robert