PDA

View Full Version : 38-40 primer pocket

mrappe
06-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I have been shooting my 73 Whichester for CAS. It is a 38-40 and I have always used Large Rifile Primers in it since 1) I am using it in a rifle 2) Winchester developed it for the rifle and Colt used it for it's pistol so I always assumed that it would need a LR primer. The last time I bought new brass for it was 2 years ago and I got some4 Starline brass. The primers would seet but I noticed that they are not as recessed as some of my other calibers. The primer is only high enough to drive me batty. You almost have to imagine that they are high to notice. I don't think that is an issue since it is such a small amount and i always us RNFP bullets in there anyway. But I called Starline and they said that the pockets were dimentioned for a Large Pistol primer. this seems dumb to me since the caliber was originally designed for a rifle. Anyway I was thinking of using the RCBS Trimmate Lirge Rifle Pocket Uniformer to make them slightly deeper. Has anyone else had this problem?

Char-Gar
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Save yourself some hassles and just use large pistol primers. Starline is not bound to 1881 thinking on the subject. Rifle primers might give some ignition issues in some handguns, as they are harder. At 38-40 pressure levels large pistol primers will work just fine in rifles as well as pistols.

I don't think Starline is the least bit dumb in this matter.

skeet1
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Chargar is right, there is no reason to use a rifle primer in that size of a cartridge. The .38-40 is a relatively low pressure cartridge and large pistol primers will be fine. I question if this cartridge was ever loaded with large rifle primers as they aren't needed.

Ken

mrappe
06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the insight. I will have to start using LP primers.

06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Hmmm? The whole issue begs the notion, why not use a reputable reloading manual for specifics about such things- every reloading manual/book/reference I have including a pretty old Lyman manual- list the Large Pistol primer as correct for both the 44-40 and the 38-40.