PDA

View Full Version : 8x56R Cast Bullet Data

gschwertley
06-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Thought I would pass along some cast bullet data so as to help someone else interested in the same for 8x56R Austrian.

Rifle used was one of the typical recent Steyr-Mannlicher Model 1895 imports from Bulgaria reworked circa 1939-40 and stored away. The one I chose for testing this data had a small "s" marked barrel, no date, indicating it was newly installed by the Bulgarians and accordingly bore conditon is excellent. It is a short rifle.

First data offered:

115 grain hard-cast bullet sized .330 (originally intended for Lebel 8mm revolver)
Primer used: WW large rifle
Propellant used: 6.0 grains Unique
Case used: Graf boxer primed (recent Serbian manufacture)

This is a sub-sonic load, in the spirit of the great Finn P.T. Kekkonen and clocked an average of 977 fps. out of my test rifle. The standard deviation in muzzle velocity was 3.21 fps. which is pretty good. The only downside was some smoking of the cases, which is to be expected with a charge this small not being able to completely seal off the case neck at time of firing. Steyr-Mannlicher Model 1895 commonly have generous chamber sizes as well.

The accuracy of this sub-sonic load was a two and one quarter inch group (with one flyer) of five shots and it printed two and a half inches high from point of aim (center of target). The range at which fired was 50 yards. I like to start at 50 yards with cast bullets in unknown loadings, as you never can be sure where they are going to end up. Besides, I am an old geezer now and shooting with open sights limits my capabilities anyway. Added to that, right now I am wearing a neck brace following a cervical fusion surgery, so I didn't do too badly at that.

This .330 115 grain bullet is not commonly available. If you are very devout, NEI can make you a mould for $80.00.

Another load I can pass along data on is based on the C.E. Harris formula of 16.0 grains of Alliant 2400. Over this I used a hard-cast 200 grain lead bullet cast in an inexpensive Lee mould and sized .329 with a .32 Hornady gas check. The same Graf brass and WW primers listed above were used.

This load clocked an average muzzle velocity of 1412 fps. and had an standard deviation of 8.78 fps. I think this isn't bad considering that C.E. Harris recommends this same load for many different but similar cartridges. Same M95 rifle was used as above. Test shots were fired at 50 yards and printed a two inch, five shot group four inches low from point of aim at center of target.

The usual caveats apply, be sure you use a weapon that is safe to shoot, if in doubt check with gunsmith; your rifle is different from my rifle and results my be different; use safe loading techniques, etc.