PDA

View Full Version : Reloading .32 Win Spl Problems

Fugowii
06-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm sizing 30-30 brass to .32 Win Spl and the ID of the neck is .320 after sizing with
a Redding sizing die. My bullet is sized to .323 and when I measured it I get around
a .3235. Maybe it's grown a little since I cast them a few months ago? Anyway I
am crushing cases left and right with this setup. I have a Lyman 32R 'M' die and this
is as worthless as **** on a bull at this point (see drawing below).

I slugged my barrel on my win94 and it is indeed .322 so that is why I got the sizing
die made to .323. I am using the RCBS 32-170-FP and my alloy is WW and I am using
a Hornady GC.

Any ideas as to what I can do to not crush cases when reloading this round? I'm
not thrilled with the seating/crimping done in the same die as I think that before
the bullet gets completely seated that some crimping gets done. I've tried to just
seat the bullet without crimping and it seems the brass does get 'straightened' but
not crimped fully.

Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/32winproblems.jpg

sundog
06-23-2011, 03:25 PM
It's not the 30-30 cases causing your problem. Set the M die aside. Try putting a slight bell on the case mouth with a needle nose plier. If that works and you want something fancier, get the Lee case mouth expander die, which is essentially a universal 'beller'. The needle nose works just fine.

I know a lot of folks think the M die is the cat's meow, and that's fine. I have a couple or three and they collect dust on the shelf - they are the answer to a question that makes money for Lyman.

felix
06-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Absolutely. If I had a bench gun using 8mm boolits, you can bet I would have custom dies to thwart the need for any kind of belling. Otherwise, the needle nose is right on the money. ... felix

ktw
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

Size/expand the necks larger.

You can do this with the Lee Collet Neck sizer. Order an oversize stem and turn it down to the neck diameter of your choice.

You can also do it with a larger expander plug. Get an over-sized one to turn down yourself, or Buffalo Arms will sell you an M die type expander plug with dimensions of your choice that will fit either a Lyman or RCBS expander body.

-ktw

Maven
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Fugowii, Because it's not clear from your original post, I have to ask whether you're allowing the .324" portion of the M-die expander to enter your reformed and resized cases far enough to bell and expand them? In short, do you need to turn the M-die and its expander deeper on your press so it can function as it's supposed to?

Fugowii
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Fugowii, Because it's not clear from your original post, I have to ask whether you're allowing the .324" portion of the M-die expander to enter your reformed and resized cases far enough to bell and expand them? In short, do you need to turn the M-die and its expander deeper on your press so it can function as it's supposed to?

Yeah,

I am seating the 'M' die far enough. In fact I went a little too far in order to flair the
brass a little more than the .324".

Char-Gar
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a 1959 vintage Win. 94 in 32 WS, with a .322 bore. I also have the RCBS mold and the 32 caliber M die. I also size bullet .323.

I don't have the problem of collapsing cases and with H335 powder get outstanding results.

I tend to think you have a die adjustment problem. 32 WS cases made from 30-30 cases come out with the case mouths a little out of square. I suspect a high spot on your case mouths is hitting the crimp ring in the die causing the problem.

Trim you cases so the mouths are square and raise you die a hair so the case does not hit the crimp ring, and I will bet your problems will go away. If you need to crimp, lower the die and do that in a separate operation.

Fugowii
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a 1959 vintage Win. 94 in 32 WS, with a .322 bore. I also have the RCBS mold and the 32 caliber M die. I also size bullet .323.

I don't have the problem of collapsing cases and with H335 powder get outstanding results.

I tend to think you have a die adjustment problem. 32 WS cases made from 30-30 cases come out with the case mouths a little out of square. I suspect a high spot on your case mouths is hitting the crimp ring in the die causing the problem.

Trim you cases so the mouths are square and raise you die a hair so the case does not hit the crimp ring, and I will bet your problems will go away. If you need to crimp, lower the die and do that in a separate operation.

Thanks! Do you crimp? My rifle is only a year younger than yours. I am using 5744
with a Dillon 550B and it doesn't meter worth a darn. My charges are +/- .2-.3 grains.
I was using 2230 but when I asked the Accurate guy for loading he wouldn't give me
one and said that Accurate doesn't support using that powder in reduced load situations.
Is H335 good with reduced loads? I like your idea of crimping in a separate operation
and will try that.

ETA: I trim my brass on a Giraud so it squares up the mouth pretty good.

Fugowii
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I just wanted to update this thread to let those kind enough to respond that I put the Lee
expanding die in and flared the cases and never looked back. Not one crushed case out of
40 loaded. Thanks to all who imparted their wisdom and experience.

358 Win
06-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Fugowii, glad you got it figured out. I have four .32 Specials (2 Win 94's, and 2 Marlin 336SC's
and shoot cast in all of them. I use the RCBS 08-170FNGC designed for 8mm's. It casts just
a wee bit larger diameter with my alloy than the RCBS 32-170 mould. I also use HDY gas checks. My cast load for my bullet mould is 16gr of Alliant 2400, Fed 215 primer, seated in the
crimp groove, Javelina Alox lube, and a Lee 30-30 crimp die (not crushed crimp). I'm getting right at 1650fps and super accuracy. I also use 20gr of A5744 for 1850fps from my 20" barrels. I use no filler and do not position the powder by raising the muzzle. I just bang away and have fun!!! Groundhogs here in NE PA hate it when I take my .32 Specials for a walk and have either cast bullet load along! I bought the RCBS cowboy dies for loading my .32 Specials. But even before I bought the cowboy dies, I never ever crushed a case when loading cast bullets, I simply flare the case mouth
and voila, no crushed cases no matter what caliber I'm loading cast bullets for.
358 Win

45-70 Chevroner
06-26-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm sure that (Charger) has your answer. I also think that you have a die adjustment problem. Back off you seating die so that you don't get a crimp, reajust you seating depth and do the crimping in a seperate operation.

Char-Gar
06-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Fug... I use enough H335 to give a full snort factory level velocities. It isn't a reduced load. I won't post the charge here, but if you PM me I will tell you how much. This with the RCBS cast bullet of course.

A short time back Night Oil made a batch of molds for the 8mm that is a scaled up version of 311407 Mod. I think it should also do very well in the 32 WS. I have the mold and will try it when I get my round tuit.

I have so many rifles in which I shoot reduced loads and so few rifles that do their best with full snort loads, so I don't plan on trying to find a reduced load in my 32 WS. I keep several boxes of my loads ready and the rifle correctly sighted for the load. It is my go to rifle, I can just pick it up, load it up and walk about the door.

Yes, I do put a light roll crimp on the round as described in my post above. I will not shoot rounds in a tubular magazine without a crimp. I have seen bullets shoved back down into the case by the spring pressure and recoil and want no part of that.

popper
07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Unique or similar powder for reduced loads, not H335.

dragonrider
07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Chargar wrote
"A short time back Night Oil made a batch of molds for the 8mm that is a scaled up version of 311407 Mod. I think it should also do very well in the 32 WS. I have the mold and will try it when I get my round tuit."

Pretty sure that would be Night Owl there Chargar :bigsmyl2:

I too have the same mold I haven't shot it yet but have cast a few and need to finish up the sizing die I am making for it then happily head off to the range.

Char-Gar
07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Yep. it is Night Owl. Sometimes my fingers just seen have minds of their own.

Jon K
07-07-2011, 12:02 AM
I think the 32 mould NOE made is the 326407. Shoots great in my 1893 Marlin circa 1902. NOE was a life saver with that one, cause my groove diameter is .326. Had to do a lot of modifications to make it fit. So far, I'm shooting 22gr 4198@1775fps. Boolit weighs 190 gr w/GC & lube.

Jon