PDA

View Full Version : S&W serial number lookups and questions?

45-70bpcr
06-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Anyone have the book that can look up year of manufacture on a couple Smiths for me? Last night I bought a friends bullseye gear. He had not shot them much in recent years and decided he would part with them so they could be used again. Bittersweet. He didn't remember what year he got them and I am of course curious now. One gun is a Model 52-2 # A4874XX and the second is a model 41 #A4107XX. It was an expensive night last night but I am pretty excited. The 41 has an early Aimpoint 1000 on it, I did find they were made from '87 to '91. It needs a battery but looks good sitting on the 41 so I am hoping to use it. It is on a Weaver base. Would the barrel have been factory drilled and tapped for the base or would that have to have been done to it? Also the 41 has the 8" barrel with compensator. I have heard the comp. is a bugger to clean. Will it come off easily? I have a small ultrasonic cleaner and wondered if it would work.

Thanks for any help

krit29-2
06-23-2011, 12:01 PM
your 52-2 was made in 1978 or 79 and your 41 is listed between 77-78
also S&W started drill & taping the 41 barrels in 94. So your was done other than factory.
the comp.. remove the screw in front and pull / twist/ swear/cuss untill it comes off..there might be a weight under the screw that will slide out.
and yes they are a bugger to clean, I found a nylon brush in .25 cal works well
and lastly your aimpoint ( i have one on mine also ) uses battery #CR-1/3N . also don't forget to put a drop of oil on the threads on the battery compartment of that aimpoint, they like to get all "gunkie" and stuck.....

45-70bpcr
06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
your 52-2 was made in 1978 or 79 and your 41 is listed between 77-78
also S&W started drill & taping the 41 barrels in 94. So your was done other than factory.
the comp.. remove the screw in front and pull / twist/ swear/cuss untill it comes off..there might be a weight under the screw that will slide out.
and yes they are a bugger to clean, I found a nylon brush in .25 cal works well
and lastly your aimpoint ( i have one on mine also ) uses battery #CR-1/3N . also don't forget to put a drop of oil on the threads on the battery compartment of that aimpoint, they like to get all "gunkie" and stuck.....

Wow! Thank you. The aimpoint is old but looks really well made. I think I read it has a 3 minute dot. Going to get a battery tonight.