PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi can alcohol stove

Hackleback
01-04-2007, 04:12 AM
not sure where to put this, so here it is.

There are multiple sites on the web on how to make these so they must work. If you are not into the ultra light back packing thing, these could still be useful as an emergency stove for the car, truck, snowmobile... They say you are able to boil a couple cups of water with less than an ounce of fuel. Fuel is by the way, denatured aclohal that is avalible at hardware and paint stores. You can also use Everclear AKA 99% grain alcohol (what you dont use to fuel the stove can be used to fuel a good time:-D ). Soo simple, soo light. Maybe a good project for scouts.

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

MT Gianni
01-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Montana DOT says every one should have in their car for winter travel a christmas container of the size a roll of toilet paper will fit in snugly and a small bottle of rubbing alcohol. Instructions are to put the tp in the can and pour some alcohol in it and light as a safe heater if stranded. Put the lid on to extinguish it. never tried it but the same principle. Gianni.

BeeMan
01-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I made a couple of these as a project with my oldest son. We tried them out and they work as claimed. Mine is still sitting on the bench along with the material to make the windscreen. Need a round tuit, then it will be put in the bug out kit.

BeeMan

Hackleback
01-04-2007, 02:10 PM
This stove is nothing more than an upscale "bunson burner" that have been made in scouts for years. To make this stove, fill a tuna can with corrogated cardboard cut against the grain and cut as tall as the tuna can. Coil it up and fill the can. Melt wax (either candle or parrafin) and fill the can. The cardboard acts like a large wick.

These have a tendency to burn a bit on the sooty side but put off enogh heat to cook on.

sundog
01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Hackleback, yup, a buddy burner..., and a hobo stove. Take a real live 3# coffee CAN and cut a little window opening in the side of the open end and using a church key use the can opener end to punch two or three holes in the SIDE of the closed end opposite the window side. Put the openend down, light yern buddy burner, slide it in through the window and, voila, a cook stove.

I have a couple of coors lights cans (smaller diameter and taller than other beverage cans) with the top cut off, a piece of hemp rope for a wick and filled with paraffin. The heavy wick is easily enough to heat a cup of water. I keep them handy in case of a power outage. Rather large flame puts of good lights, too.

carpetman
01-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Will these work with a buffalo chip if you don't have alcohol?

MT Gianni
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Ray, try lanolin.

Scrounger
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Ray, try lanolin.

He does, every day...

dk17hmr
01-04-2007, 05:49 PM
My old man makes these all the time out of Red Bull cans. I keep one in my truck, just in case. From start to boiling water it takes like 5 minutes.

toecutter
01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I've used these, but have never been very happy with thier performance. They are a little better if you use the pepsi can as the burner, and then use a 1# coffee can with holes in it to support your cookware.

I always got lazy and used my canteen cup, and an esbit stove.

One of the other designs I saw used a small soup can (or larger) punch holes in the bottom, and cut a large window at the top. Uses sticks and twigs, much more versatile than the ones that only use alcohol.