PDA

View Full Version : lubesizers...newbie needs help!

1kshooter
06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I am haveing not so much luck with pan lube and I am thinking about buying a Lyman cast master kit that has the new 4500 model and #4 manual,dip casting pot ,ladel,GC attachment and a Ingot tray for $197 Canadian ...first off are they any good?

and more importantly ...I am curantly loading just 45-70Gov but I have a few diferant molds ..mostly round flat nose as it will be shot through a Marlin...do I need a top punch for each mold or will one that is for round flat nose do for all round flat 45-70 bullets?

I can see that it calls for a #191 for my 405gr Lyman but I cant see what I need for my Lee molds ..405gr RFNHB and 340grRFN also Lee500grRFN GC!

I don't mind having an extra melter around for smelting but I would not me able to justify the extra cash for a new toppunch for each diferent mold!

I also want to load fo .44mag and posably 357mag as I acuire more levers to cast for

Thanks so much for your help as I have a store that I can get what I need minus any wisdom on the product!

Thanks again Jonathan

dragonrider
06-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Don't know what a Star would cost in Canadian but if your paying that much for a Lyman I would save a bit more and get the Star, it's the only sizer you will ever need. If you are into this hobby for the long run you will do it eventualy anyway, might as well fork over the cash now and get it over with. And you won't need multiple top punches, two or three for a whole range of boolits would be enough. Although some of us , ok probably just myself, have a die and punch for each boolit.

btroj
06-23-2011, 06:51 AM
That was for a Lyman kit, has much more than just the sizer.

The Lyman works fine. I have an older model that has sized many a bullet. If you need sizer dies in a size that Lyman doesn't make there are a few guys on this site that can make them for you.

Top punches can frequently do double duty. It is nice to have an exact fit to prevent any damage to bullet noses but is certainly not required.

If the price sounds right to you I say go for it. You have to start somewhere.

GP100man
06-23-2011, 07:15 AM
In a pinch I did make a flat punch from 1/4" bolt & nuts to use on flatnosed boolits , just take time to line em up square in the die .

Just screw the set screw in enuff to miss the frame & use boolit lube to hold the TP in so it`ll "float"

Finally did get to my FILs lathe to cut 1

06-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I say go for it. The kit saves big bucks over buying each piece individually. Good advise has already been given regarding top punches. Hot melt glue will allow one punch to accommodate any number of nose designs.

Either here, or on Castpics (link at the bottom of the page) there is a Lyman-to Lee top punch cross reference.

1kshooter
06-23-2011, 06:13 PM
thanks so much folks I needed the kick in the pants lol!

MT Chambers
06-24-2011, 07:41 PM
As one canuck to another, I'd hold out for a RCBS luber/sizer, they are more robust and have a better warranty. The Handle "link" seems to break alot on Lymans for me.

Cherokee
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a Lyman 45, a 450 and a 4500. Never in 50 years have I had a link problem.

06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a Lyman 45, a 450 and a 4500. Never in 50 years have I had a link problem.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. I did have a bolt break, though, and replaced all three with Grade 8s and Nylock nuts.

garym1a2
06-28-2011, 08:08 AM
As one canuck to another, I'd hold out for a RCBS luber/sizer, they are more robust and have a better warranty. The Handle "link" seems to break alot on Lymans for me.

I am looking to buy one also. Has anyone seen a good comparision of the two RCBS and Lyman? It seems both can be found for about $150 US.

For me its will be used on 9mm, .357 and .45ACP.