PDA

View Full Version : dog hunting s dakota

bensonwe
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Well, the time has finally arrived. I'm taking a week and my shooting buddy & I are going to shoot all the boolits we loaded since last year, when we shot all the boolits we loaded from the previous year and so on. Bring my .223, .25-20 and my two new comers, .22 hornet & .225 winchester. He's bringing his .22's and his .300 win mag. He said he's going to get the ones underground. Looking forward to just having a lot of fun.

C1PNR
06-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Where you going? Do you have local contacts? I've thought many times of doing the same thing. Maybe even trying to time it for the Pheasant season, too. :bigsmyl2:

I think the Whitetail season is later, but it may be easier to combine the Pheasant and Whitetail hunts.

Good luck, and have a great time!

I was born in Yankton, but haven't been back since 1983 when we buried my Grandmother just outside Volin.

cheese1566
06-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Check out the National Grasslands north of the Badlands...

The Rangers won"t exactly tell you where to go, but will help you out. If you search on the web, you can find studies that have maps of where dog populations are.

Hickory
06-23-2011, 07:31 PM
300 mag? Well he'll be over that pretty quick.

bensonwe
06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
We are shooting just south of Miller. I talked to guy who knew a guy who knew a guy that has some dogs. He said shoot as many as you want just don't shoot my cows. I'm not a farmer and know little about cows but I think they might be a bit different than pds. He's nice anough to let us shoot for next to nothing $75 bucks for the week, (i think this might jsut be gas money to show us the land).
As far as the .300 mag my friend just bought one of those lead sleds and he's courios if it works. he and i have hunted whitetail many times b4 but this is the first pding together. His wife took his kids on vacation and my wifes visiting the grandkids while we go shooting.

Rockydog
06-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Was out in SD a couple of weeks ago pdoggin myself. Shot about 600 rounds in 2 days but only about 50% kill rate this year. 30 mph winds both days made things a bit tough. Over 3 moa hold off due to wind effect. Not the easiest of conditions. RD

randyrat
06-25-2011, 06:21 AM
You have to fill us in on how your trip went. Be prepared for WIND, on a calm day it's windy as heck out there. I know a few people from the Dakotas, they all lean when they walk. Very nice people from there.

bensonwe
06-30-2011, 09:10 PM
just got back from SD. Has a great time. I shot about 500 - 550 rounds. Between my buddy and I we killed about 75 dogs. The wind was at 40 mph +. Very difficult but we managed. The temp was 90 deg or better all three days. I thought I could use my .22 hornet but the wind just blew that pill all over the place. Ended up using the .223 & .225. All & all I would recommend anyone that wants to challange their shooting ability, try pd hunting at ranges 200 - 400 yards.