PDA

View Full Version : Undersized bullets out of Lee 6 cavity mold

Cloudpeak
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Yesterday, I cast my first 1,500 or so 45 cal., 200 SWC HG 68 design bullets out of my new Lee 6 cavity mold. I lubed and sized them. I'm using the Lee .452 push through sizer die and this worked very well with my 45 TL Lee bullets. However, this new mold is casting smaller diameter bullets. I did push them through the 452 sizer but some even fell out. Most offered no resistance.

The bullets measure anywhere from .449 to 457. Most probably average .451. I assume the really large diameter bullets were caused by not having the mold blocks tightly closed? Other variances were probably due to temps? All bullets were cast from wheel weights.

So, I loaded up some test loads this afternoon and noticed the bullets set in the case very easily. My expander measures .4495" I don't think I'm getting enough tension on the bullet. When I test fire, I'll measure the last round for set back.

For solutions. First, I did the "spin a bullet in the mold with polish" thing. I've not cast any bullets since then but don't imagine I increased bullet diameter by any great amount. I mainly did this so bullets would release a bit better. The cavities were a little rough.

I could purchase a smaller diameter expander or polish the one I have down a bit. And, I could buy a .451 diameter sizing die. I do like to size my bullets to make sure they are all the same diameter and I'd like to feel some resistance when I push the bullet through the sizer.

Main question. How much "crimp" should I be looking for. My gut feeling is that .0015" won't be enough. I should say that these bullets are used in moderate to mild loads. Any tips or suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Cloudpeak

Willbird
01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Did you look REALLY hard at the bullets to see that they filled out properly ?? You can get a borderline condition where the bullets look sort of decent (will have some rounded corners) but are undersized.

Did you smoke the mold ? I have found that HEAVY soot can make them cast smaller. Also did you wash it good with a toothbrush and some dish detergent ?? a couple times ?? I have found also that some of Doug's coolant or something can be in the cavities and make them not fill properly, and cast smaller, whatever it is Brake clean will not touch it, but hot water and soap and a toothbrush WILL

Just my .02 with Lee 6 cavities :-).

I have also found that some like being filled back to front instead of front to back when they are being balky, when they start running nice on all 6 they don't care much.

Bill

Cloudpeak
01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Did you look REALLY hard at the bullets to see that they filled out properly ?? You can get a borderline condition where the bullets look sort of decent (will have some rounded corners) but are undersized.

Yep. I culled pretty hard. All the remaining bullets had nice, sharp corners.

Did you smoke the mold ? I have found that HEAVY soot can make them cast smaller.

Yes, I smoked the mold but don't think I overdid it.

Also did you wash it good with a toothbrush and some dish detergent ??

No detergent. I cleaned the mold with acetone, toothbrush and Q-tips.

I have also found that some like being filled back to front instead of front to back when they are being balky, when they start running nice on all 6 they don't care much.

Yes, I found the same thing.

Thanks, Bill

ANeat
01-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Ive got one of the same molds that does the same thing. My only reasonable explanation is that the combination of it falls on the small end of their tolerance and your alloy. I would bet that if you use something harder like Lyman #2 you would get a bullet the correct size.

I was pushing mine thru a Star sizer and only about half of the bullet OD would even touch the sizer.

Ive got a Lee 230 TC 6 cavity mold that throws bullets right to size (.452) using WW and a 230 RN that throws them even larger with the same alloy.

Adam

Johnch
01-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Try cranking up the heat .
I have found NORMALY a mould will throw a larger bullet when they come out all frosty

I also had a Lee 6 gang mould that produced undersized bullets .
Talked to Lee , sent it back they sent me a new one that was larger

Johnch

Willbird
01-04-2007, 07:55 AM
I guess on the smoke deal, I found that if you smoked the mold COLD the layer of soot was worth about .001 on dia, smoking it after it was warm resulted in a much thinner coating, in fact it was hard to build any up at all, I smoke with one of the butane grill lighter thingies.

I used to think acetone was a good solvent for cleaning things, until i read up on it, actually it is not, with the exception of something they referred to as "organic oils and greases" or some such, turns out laquer thinner is actually a much better cleaner than acetone for most purposes. There are some additives in coolant that may defy acetone possibly, I would have never believed dawn and Hot water would do something that brake clean wouldnt, I learn all the time that I don't know nearly as much as I think I know hehe :-).

Bill

MT Gianni
01-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I guess on the smoke deal, I found that if you smoked the mold COLD the layer of soot was worth about .001 on dia, smoking it after it was warm resulted in a much thinner coating, in fact it was hard to build any up at all, I smoke with one of the butane grill lighter thingies.

Bill

Willbird, Sooting comes from an incomplete combustion of the fuel. With a match or lighter against a cold mold you are cooling the flame enough that it doesn't burn well leaving the hydocarbons against the mold. A hot mold leaves less soot because the burn is less restricted or cooled. Gianni.

felix
01-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Bill, what you have said about what you have found out about solvents is very true. That is why we have to be careful about using synthetics as lube components. Some of these polymers we can use are extremely difficult to cut with the normal cleaning fluids, like Ed's Red, and most others in the cabinet. If we have a barrel that is loading up with lube (no leading) the accuracy will gradually fall until either excess lube purging by firing, or by cleaning the gunk out, and especially the latter after the lube got hard after sitting around in the barrel for some time. In other words, "beware" is the key word here for some exotic lube unless throughly tested over time. ... felix

Ricochet
01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Cast 'em hotter.

I'm having to revise my techniques due to problems with too-large boolits. I've been running the pot hot and casting fast.