PDA

View Full Version : New Lead Pot?

j4570
01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
The pot I've been using is one of the smaller bottom pour LEE pots with 2" clearance (or whatever, the one with less). It doesn't seem to be getting it done. I bought a Lyman thermometer and it says I'm getting barely 600 degrees. I'm having all kinds of trouble casting. I at first doubted the thermometer, but since it's new and the pot is old, I'm thinking the pot is just not enough heat. Let it sit an hour and still not hot.

Does your Lyman thermometer read about 875 degrees when it's cold? (minimum on the scale is 200)

I do have a hot plate and manual dipper, I'm considering firing that up and trying it to make sure it's not technique, which I doubt as the temp needs to be about 750 for WW I think.

Thoughts?

imashooter2
01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
You're in luck, I've already run that problem to the ground (with the help of the board). See this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=7204

FWIW, even though the 10 pound is fixed now, I bought a Lee Pro 20 and couldn't be happier with the upgrade.

To check your thermometer, use boiling water (just Google the boiling temp at your elevation).

Muskrat Mike
01-03-2007, 10:31 PM
The pot I've been using is one of the smaller bottom pour LEE pots with 2" clearance (or whatever, the one with less). It doesn't seem to be getting it done. I bought a Lyman thermometer and it says I'm getting barely 600 degrees. I'm having all kinds of trouble casting. I at first doubted the thermometer, but since it's new and the pot is old, I'm thinking the pot is just not enough heat. Let it sit an hour and still not hot.

Does your Lyman thermometer read about 875 degrees when it's cold? (minimum on the scale is 200)

I do have a hot plate and manual dipper, I'm considering firing that up and trying it to make sure it's not technique, which I doubt as the temp needs to be about 750 for WW I think.

Thoughts?

Your thermometer is broken. I had three lymans do that to me. Gave up and bought a RCBS.

cherok9878
01-04-2007, 10:24 AM
I am on my third lyman thermometer, first two replaced under waranty. Next will be a RCBS.
I have been casting for about a year....................larry

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Get a good thermometer from the Antimony Man. Good quality, reaosnable price.

http://www.theantimonyman.com/

Jon K
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
I had to learn the hard way too, bought a Lyman to save a few $, even after reading reviews. After it broke, I bought a RCBS, cost more, and worth more in dependability.

Jon
:castmine: