PDA

View Full Version : Loadmaster bullet feeder ?

WyrTwister
06-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Does the bullet feeder only hold one tube ? How many .357 or .45 bullets will it hold ? Are they the same tubes as used in the case feeder ?

Can you pre-fill several tubes ? Is there any way to keep the bullets from falling out , if you pre-fill them ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

1bluehorse
06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I believe you can install a 4 tube system the same as the case feeder. With that said I tried the bullet feeder on a loadmaster years ago loading 250gr 45 colt and found it didn't work very well with that application. It seems to work o.k. with certain bullets. I don't see where there's any time saved using one versus placing them by hand.

Moonie
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
I had nothing but trouble with the one I had. It did increase the rate however the fingers tend to get mangled and broken, this stops things completely and requires replacing them. The bullet feeder comes with 1 tube but there is part you can purchase that gives you 4. There is nothing to keep boolits from falling out of pre-filled tubes.

Longwood
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I believe you can install a 4 tube system the same as the case feeder. With that said I tried the bullet feeder on a loadmaster years ago loading 250gr 45 colt and found it didn't work very well with that application. It seems to work o.k. with certain bullets. I don't see where there's any time saved using one versus placing them by hand.

In my opinion, it is simply another problem with the Loadmaster. Plus,,, it keeps me from looking into the case to see if the lousy powder measure worked correctly.
Mine is sitting on the shelf and I will sell it CHEAP! The powder measure is going too as soon as I get a new RCBS measure.

Tom Myers
06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Longwood,
How cheap is cheap. And any more particulars? I am interested.
PM is on the way.
I'll wait to hear from You.

In my opinion, it is simply another problem with the Loadmaster. Plus,,, it keeps me from looking into the case to see if the lousy powder measure worked correctly.
Mine is sitting on the shelf and I will sell it CHEAP! The powder measure is going too as soon as I get a new RCBS measure.

jmorris
06-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Longwood,

How cheap is cheap. And any more particulars? I am interested.

PM is on the way.

I'll wait to hear from You.

IIRC the one I had was $25 brand new. I would feel like I robbed you if you only paid shipping to you. You'll have more fun waisting time counting rain drops.

Longwood
06-24-2011, 12:48 AM
IIRC the one I had was $25 brand new. I would feel like I robbed you if you only paid shipping to you. You'll have more fun waisting time counting rain drops.

Did you pay shipping also? Some of us don't live close to someplace that sells Lee products.

Moonie
06-24-2011, 08:53 AM
I've been looking at the Hornady bullet feed die as a replacement for mine.

jmorris
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Did you pay shipping also? Some of us don't live close to someplace that sells Lee products.

I bet it came with a bunch of other stuff. I order in batches to save on shipping.

My point was even at such a low cost it is a complete waist of money.

The GSI and KISS/mr bullet feeder are both good feeders and the KISS is the best collator for the money. The Lee you still have to stack by hand, not that it matters, as it would never work long enough to need a collator.

cbunt1
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Does the bullet feeder only hold one tube ? How many .357 or .45 bullets will it hold ? Are they the same tubes as used in the case feeder ?

Can you pre-fill several tubes ? Is there any way to keep the bullets from falling out , if you pre-fill them ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

They are the same tubes that are used in the case feeder. They'll hold about 20 bullets per tube (weight tends to be the limiting factor to making the feeder work)...in fact, I staged them to change brass tubes and bullet tubes at the same time.

You can prefill the tubes, hold your finger under the base, and slip it onto the 4-tube adapter...takes a little finnesse, but you can do it.

I didn't find the feeder/multiple tube adapter to be a total waste. I tinkered with it until I made it work, understood how it all happened, and ran a few sets of "pull and watch" loads.

THe real trick to using the device though is attaching it to just the right spot...ignore the instructions....It works best on the pegboard about 5 feet away from the press. LOL

In all seriousness, it is a neat toy. I wish it worked better than it does, and with a little re-engineering, it probably would....

rbt50
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
i got one of hornady bullet feeder dies and set it up with a plastic tub.
i can load 50 bullets in the tube and it works great.

noylj
06-24-2011, 07:14 PM
rbt50: can you describe and show pictures?

I consider the Lee Pro Auto-Disk a very excellent powder measure.
I consider the Lee Perfect Powder Measure a perfectly adequate powder measure.
I consider the Lee Bullet Feed a very nice system and use it manually on my 1050.
I have never seen any other bullet feeds in person but, like the case feeders, are a LOT more expensive and had better a LOT easier and better than Lee's.
I wonder how many Lee cursers really used Lee equipment and how many simply want to justify their VERY expensive set-ups.
The only real complaint I have heard about the LoadMaster, by those who are actually trying to get them to work, is about the priming system and the need to go through and smooth all the plastic "paths" the primers follow.
I am more than happy with a Hornady L-N-L AP and three 1050s, but I like the Lee equipment I have used. Even manually, the bullet feeder eliminates the frustration of my hands twitchiing as I try to place a bullet on the case. Using an RCBS Lock-Out die prior to bullet seating eliminates the need to look into each case. Also, the case can be looked into as easily as ever with the Lee Bullet feed installed as the bullet is seated as the case and bullet enter the die, so the case is as open for inspection as ever with the ram dow (L-N-L) or the dies in the up position (1050).

rbt50
06-24-2011, 11:57 PM
i will post some pictures in a day or two.

shotman
06-25-2011, 01:19 AM
the lee bullet feeder works good with jacket 38 and lighter. It works good with 45 jackets IF you donr fill tubes only half way . Cast forget it , it dont work about 3 then will miss. or cock the bullet wrong .
the powder measure works fine and is better than most if you get the adjustable part and replace the disc . Its the only one I have seen that will dor 3gr of a flake and be on the money
the case feeder will work if you use clean brass and polish the ALUMIUM slide bar . I burnished it will moly and now it works .
primer feed . Look at your primers. some like the older feds have a coating that I guess is for shipping . Back when they come in rows on their side. the new ones are in own holes. look at the dust or? it gets in the feeder and jams it

jmorris
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I consider the Lee Bullet Feed a very nice system and use it manually on my 1050.

I would like to see a photo of how you have it hooked up.

Scharch sold a pneumatic feeder, that I bet was the design Lee built out of plastic, that seemed to work well but the costs were high. Not just for the feeder but the MA Systems collators are $1K and you have to have air.

I ended up with GSI and KISS feeders and buillt the collators from PVC and Hyvar.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/feeder1.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/bullet%20feeder/DSC01472.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/1050feeder.jpg