PDA

View Full Version : Can a lyman 55 be used on press?

cavalrymedic
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Can a Lyman #55 powder measure be used on a press, specifically a Lee Turret, and function automatically, similar to the Lee Perfect or Auto Disk? Any suggestions on how to mount and rig? I ask because I have always loved the Lyman 55 for it's ruggedness. I like the autodisk I have but, well, it's kinda not very durable. Pictures would be wonderful and thanks for all advice.

Wayne Smith
06-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Mine came with an adaptor that screws into the press and the drop tube of the measure screws into it - yes, it can be mounted that way. That assumes you have clearance, etc.

hornetman
06-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Lyman makes a "Multi-Expand Powder Charge Die", part number 7767901 that allows you to mount a 55 to a press, and comes with seven inserts to expand the case as you drop the powder. The inserts function like little M dies. The thiing works great-I have one mounted on a Lyman All-American. Of course it does not drop the powder automatically

Doc Highwall
06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Dillon makes a adapter that uses the same expander's as their powder measures.

cavalrymedic
06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I didn't know about the adapters, per se, but I suspected that something like that existed. I wonder if there is any product available to drop the powder automatically, or is that something that has to be Jerry-Rigged.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
For the very best results in measuring you must be consistent in throwing the powder drop lever with a 55. I do not think the 55 will accomodate you unless you have a manually rotated turret and charge manually. BvT

Green Frog
06-23-2011, 08:27 AM
+1 to what has been said. It is very easy to mount the measure to a multi-stage press using either the threaded bushing-type adaptor that used to come with the #55, or using the through-the-die expander and powder drop dies (Multi-Charge...) that Lyman provides as a set, which are especially suited to pistol calibers. :D

Automatic powder drop function, however, is probably going to require a device that would make the late Rube Goldberg sit up and take notice. :veryconfu It could be done, of course, but I'm not sure it could be done reliably, and I seriously doubt it could be done simply. Getting that long throw of the crank to occur along with the function of the press handle would take some serious mechanical linkage! [smilie=w:

"The words 'It can't be done' are frequently disturbed by the sound of somebody doing it." may hold true here, but I have my doubts and wouldn't begin to try to deal with that project myself! [smilie=b:

Froggie

Doc Highwall
06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Hornady makes a adapter for making a manual powder measure automatic like theirs or a RCBS, not sure about a Lyman 55.