PDA

View Full Version : How long do they need to sit?

samdweezel05
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
my first batch of boolits will be nothing more than just WW to keep it simple. I keep reading about letting the bullets sit for a day or two or even a week before you do anything with them. This isn't a problem but what happens if I try to pan lube, size, load and shoot them the same day I make them?

white eagle
06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
nothing
I do that often
tend to set up more as time goes on

btroj
06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Shoot them whenever you want. They may, and probably will, change in hardness a bit over time. If this matters to you or the application then wait, if not, go shoot em up.
Sometimes we get bogged down in the minute details and forget that they are not always relevant to the current situation. Don't over think this.
In the end I can say this- go shoot some and see if it is apron em for you and your gun. The gun and target are the ultimate judge. Listen to them, not us.

samdweezel05
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Shoot them whenever you want. They may, and probably will, change in hardness a bit over time. If this matters to you or the application then wait, if not, go shoot em up.
Sometimes we get bogged down in the minute details and forget that they are not always relevant to the current situation. Don't over think this.
In the end I can say this- go shoot some and see if it is apron em for you and your gun. The gun and target are the ultimate judge. Listen to them, not us.

This is how I usually do things but if there was some kind of world changing event from shooting them as soon as you make them I might think twice about it.

fecmech
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
The difference will be the actual BHN of the boolits. As cast air cooled WW's will be in the 8-10 BHN range and would be just fine for most standard pressure handgun loads. Aged out they will be roughly 12-14 BHN and better able to handle higher pressure handgun loads and with gas checks, most cast rifle loads. Shoot them and see for yourself, you won't break anything.

btroj
06-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Only place I can see a problem is IF the load/gun needed the additional hardness for better accuracy or reduced leading. Other issue is the growth over time of some alloys. If the bullet fit isn't too snug to allow for this growth then there will be no difference.

This is a prime example of needing context when discussing these issues. I know a few people have had bullets increase in diameter which caused chambering issues in a particular fun. This is a unique situation, not the norm. Don't worry over a problem that may well not exist.

In the end, see what your gun says. That is always the best way to learn anyway.