PDA

View Full Version : Starting a mold

wtfooptimax200
06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
What steps do you take to prep your new mold for its first casting session? Are there any material specific steps that must be taken for the various mold materials?

deltaenterprizes
06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
A good cleaning is a good first step.

onondaga
06-21-2011, 09:49 PM
A good cleaning is a good place to start. You may notice debate here on what to clean with.

I recommend not using solvents with any type of petroleum or petroleum distillates. The oils will gas out with heat and cause craters and wrinkles casting.

Clean with a good detergent like Dawn dish-washing liquid and very hot or boiling water. Hot rinse and dry.This will remove machining oil from the manufacturer.

Next I use a Silicone Grease or silicone oil ( dielectric grease from a car parts store is good) Then I disassemble the sprue plate and lube the threads of the pivot pin lightly. Use a Q-tip and only apply a very light rubbed out shine to the mold block locating pins and the block tops and plate bottom. Just a shine, this is very easily overdone and any lube over-applied will cause casting problems. Just a rubbed out shine! Not wet.

Gary

JIMinPHX
06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
First I clean it. Then I check for burrs. Then I check the sprue plate tension. Then I lube the mold. Then I try casting with it & see how it does.

My first lube is a mixture of hi-temp grease & never seize. I use that as a cold start up lube on the first cast only. I'm especially careful to get some under the sprue plate & around the sprue plate pivot. Once the mold is hot enough to properly apply Bullplate for the first time, I switch over to that & stick with it for the life of the mold.

On some molds, I wipe the cavities with kroil while the mold is cold & then wipe it dry before casting. On some molds, that helps the boolits drop out better.

I recently read how some people use alcohol as a carrier for powdered graphite & lube the cold mold cavities with that. I haven't tried that yet myself, but I may. It sounds like it might be a good idea.

wtfooptimax200
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM
What is done if burrs are found in the mold? How are they removed?

onondaga
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I remove aluminum mold cavity edge burrs with a Popsicle stick. use it like a knife or scraper. Metal tools on an aluminum mold will quickly damage the mold unless you have hand skills like a great eye surgeon.

Very small burrs on an aluminum mold cavity edge can also be removed by scrubbing with Comet cleanser and a tooth brush.

Burrs on a steel or iron mold are something I work on with a rubber abrasive point in a dremel tool. I don't use stones or diamond or metal points as it is too easy to damage a mold and the rubber points work fine and do the job gently and leave a shine.

Your sprue plate has the funnel gate holes bent and protruding on the plate bottom. I fix that with an extra fine Arkansas Oil stone and hone with oil by hand to flatten out the protruding edge.

Gary