PDA

View Full Version : What are these brass tubes?

Springfield
06-21-2011, 01:03 PM
I bought some reloading stuff in an auction and these were among the goodies. Anybody know what they are? They are about 2" long and the pins come out easy, don't even know if the pins belong but they fit. Thanks.

GRUMPA
06-21-2011, 01:06 PM
UHHM I think in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. Give us a pic.

06-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Those are the old style invisible loading tubes for the early type nuetron powered phasers. Throw them away. They are likely contaminated and of no further use. :kidding:

gray wolf
06-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya know men, I love you all but sometimes I wanna take a stick to some of you.
]HOW IN THEE HECK ERR WE POSED TO KNOW WHAT YER TALKIN ABOUT[/COLOR]
Make a cut out, draw a picture, take a picture, hand signals SOMIN
Kidding aside it's a little hard to guess.

Longwood
06-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Ya know men, I love you all but sometimes I wanna take a stick to some of you.
]HOW IN THEE HECK ERR WE POSED TO KNOW WHAT YER TALKIN ABOUT[/COLOR]
Make a cut out, draw a picture, take a picture, hand signals SOMIN
Kidding aside it's a little hard to guess.

No worse that the people that use acronyms and abbreviations and must think everyone is a long range mind reader.

Springfield
06-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Well, anybody can figure it with a pic, thought I'd make it a little more difficult! OK, I posted a pic now.

6.5 mike
06-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Those are rigging tools for adjusting the left hand rudder on a ducks butt.

gray wolf
06-21-2011, 06:02 PM
No it ain't !
It's a Botox applicator for chicken lips.

jaguarxk120
06-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Think it is a pin fire cartridge for a bubba target pistol.

Fire's front and rear at same time.

6.5 mike
06-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I stand corrected :groner:

Longwood
06-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I was thinking those are Roid retainers.

bhn22
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
The worst part is- I've seen these things before, but can't remember what they are.

Kevin Rohrer
06-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Bakers used them to punch out doughnut holes during the Bronze Age.

Doby45
06-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Muffler bearings, I am POSITIVE..

beanflip
06-22-2011, 12:18 AM
they got loob grooves!

gray wolf
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I had one of those years ago, brass tube with holes in it, had these pins that stuck in the side. I may still have one put a way someplace. If I recall it used to work perfectly,
did everything it was posed to do. I was very happy with it because I remember I didn't have to do anything to it, it worked right out of the box.
The only thing I didn't like was the Brass would tarnish after a while and I had to shine it up. But I always had a can of Brasso so it weren't no big deal. I remember one time I lent it to a friend and thought " man I will never see that again " but unlike some things you lend out I got it back.
I remember looking all over for another one because I thought HEY! if I ever loose this thing I will never find another one.
Anyway I would hold onto that--They are very hard to find.

SAm

Mk42gunner
06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
The worst part is- I've seen these things before, but can't remember what they are.

Me too. I can't even tell when or where I've seen them, but they look familiar.

Undoubtedly there will be a mass Homer Simpson moment when some body tells us what they are.

I have been having fun following this thread.:bigsmyl2:

Robert

mooman76
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
They look kind of like ( I believe the correct term is Thimble ) for a BP rifle that hold the ramrod in place. Maybe home made or something similar. I'm thinking BP anyway.

Az Rick
06-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm surpised at you Guys,...Okay, Okay, I'll give you a hint, miniature Chinese hand cannons. You get them all charged up, stick in the brass pin"to keep your powder from spillin'", when ready to fire, pull the pin and insert the fuse.
Under no circumstances, should you hold them close to your face while aiming. Oh, and BTW they are decorative only. I do know that two of them in hand, is worth one in the bush,...or something like that.

Best, Rick
Chinese hand cannon expert

DrB
06-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I can understand why y'all would mistake them for reloading implements, yer heads being all crammed full of same, but those are table utensils just as plain as my nose.

I used some jest t'night to pick up my corn so I wouldn't get grease all over my dainty powder stained fingers. You can see that the point doubles as a toothpick, and the handle as a crab smacker. The brass and heft keeps em from getting too hot (had a cheap aluminum pair once that weren't good at all). The grooves are so they don't slip out of yer greasy paw.

They also work right well to post 'putedly over easy but really hard fried eggs on the wall as a warning to others (that's how uncle bill got his third devorce).

Tom W.
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Naw, they're for cleaning out yer flash holes from corncob media...

Huntducks
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
You guys don't know they have been around for years there plunker rods.:confused:

DrB
06-24-2011, 11:01 PM
They are keys to a pair of oar locks. A fellow on the waterfront lost a pair of those and I spent a whole week trying to find them for him.

Kevin Rohrer
06-27-2011, 09:56 PM
That last one almost sounds believable. :popcorn:

Rockydog
06-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Are these solid brass or hollow? Inside and outside diameter might help. Maybe make a nice set of push punches and handles for removing cross pins from shotgun actions without resorting to using a hammer to punch them out? RD

vernm
06-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't know for sure what they are. Best guess would be bore guides(possibly home made). The pin rotates into the bolt handle slot and holds the guide in the receiver.

I have a Sinclair nylon bore guide from the 1980's that has the same style pin.

DLCTEX
06-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't know what they are, but they're the best ones I ever saw.

mold maker
06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
I'd just carry them in my pocket till I found something they fit. Or maybe got attacked by a rabid rabbit in a parking lot. Sometimes pocket ammo is hard to come by.

06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Whatever they are, I'm very glad that you have them. However, do you have enough of them?

helice
06-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Mark,
I take it that there's no names or numbers stamped anywhere. Are they bored out or solid? What's the diameter?

BCB
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Darn, I am following this and I honestly would like to know if they are involved in the reloading or shooting hobbies...

I hope someone really does know what they are, although some of the believable posts are interesting...

BCB

Lizard333
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
:bigsmyl2:
Some of the funniest stuff I have read in LONG time!! You guys are hilarious!!

Tom-ADC
06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Those are brass finnigan pin wipers, used on old wooden naval sailing vessels.:bigsmyl2::kidding:

Longwood
06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Those are brass finnigan pin wipers, used on old wooden naval sailing vessels.:bigsmyl2::kidding:

I have wiped my finnigan pin a lot of times but never used one of those.
But then,,, I was never in the Navy!:bigsmyl2:
Them sailors are pretty weird.

Kevin Rohrer
07-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Those things are incomplete without these inserts. You can have them for $50 each.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0513.jpg

max it
07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I bought some reloading stuff in an auction and these were among the goodies. Anybody know what they are? They are about 2" long and the pins come out easy, don't even know if the pins belong but they fit. Thanks.

HI, lots of hilarity here; but I need the diameter to really guess.

Good luck,

Max

scott0116
07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
They look kind of like ( I believe the correct term is Thimble ) for a BP rifle that hold the ramrod in place. Maybe home made or something similar. I'm thinking BP anyway.

Yep you are correct! these are ramrod thimbles for a muzzleloading rifle and the pins are there for you to pin them to the stock or thread them for the under lugs depending of course on how you build the rifle.

markinalpine
07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
max it,

Great AVATAR! One of my all time favorite Brit-Coms :bigsmyl2:

Mark [smilie=s:

GRUMPA
07-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Geee whiz guys I thought by now someone would know what they are by now...They're whatchama callits for a thingamajig.

montana_charlie
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I still have the one my Dad left me. Of course, it's copper instead of brass because of his arthritis, and the pin doesn't come out. Plus, his is left-handed.
The thing is, I never knew they were available in matched pairs.

That makes SO much more sense than trying to succeed three times out of five using only one ... a left-handed one, at that ... and with a fixed pin, to boot.

Springfield
07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
If they are ramrod thimbles how do you get the ramrod in if the pin goes through the middle of the thimble? And they are 1/2" in outside diameter and hollow.

Doby45
07-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Maybe you slip the thimble on the wooden ramrod. Then you drill a hole through the ramrod so you can feed the cross bar through and then cut the cross bar to length and peen it. I have no idea, just guessing..

mooman76
07-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Some ram rod thimbles you don't attach with a pin but you run a screw up in the hole, one hole being smaller than the other, and screw it on. Maybe it wasn't finished yet?

wallenba
07-06-2011, 12:15 AM
It's a critical component of this assembly. > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxfAjAyp5k

scott0116
07-06-2011, 01:26 AM
If they are ramrod thimbles how do you get the ramrod in if the pin goes through the middle of the thimble? And they are 1/2" in outside diameter and hollow.

The pins are likely stock to barrel pins. Looking at these it appears they are under lug thimbles which uses small screws through the holes that go into lugs attached under the barrel either by solder or usually dovetailed. The pins are tapped into the side of the stock through lugs to hold the barrel to the stock. These appear to be some ones left overs from a blackpowder project or one that never took off! If they are 1/2" outside diameter they were probably intended for a large bore gun. What is the inside diameter? many guns today use a standard 3/8" rod for calibers as small .45 and then some as large as 10 bore.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-06-2011, 05:15 AM
They are HYPO-DECIMETERS. Precision machined brass tubes used for blowing smoke up.......er, you know.

BvT

evan price
07-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Wave guides for a phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

scott0116
07-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Guy's these are definitely thimbles and tenon pins. Perhaps these links will give you a better understanding.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thompson-Center-T-C-Renegade-Under-Rib-Thimbles-Screws-/330585137397?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item4cf868e0f5

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239031374

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Powder-3-CVA-Ramrod-Thimbles-Kentucky-Rifle-NEW-/110682042140

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=4498

NoZombies
07-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I think they're a "grow your own hammer" kit. plant them with wood shavings for mulch, and see how they grow over the course of 275 years.

Jim
07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Front and rear drive bushings for a Wilkerson electric hobby horse, circa 1918. The first one made it off the assembly line and the factory exploded, killing all employees on the site.

You have the only replacement pair known to be in existence. They're worth millions to collectors of antique machinery.

DukeInFlorida
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Them there is cannoneers tools.

The round hollow part holds a length of smoldering rope (hemp.... wowser), with which to light the cannon fuse.

The small rods are to punch through the fuse flash hole, so that the new fuse can get inserted.

If I were a cannoneer, I would know that cannoneer's term for the thing.
But suffice it to say, that you now have to get a right proper cannon.......... Heck, you already have the accessories!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cannoneers used 3 implements to load a cannon what are their names?

Answer: The Pic, Sponge and Ram.

It's discussed here:
http://www.buckstix.com/HowitzerTools.htm

Pictures of some variants are shown. Here's a common one:
http://www.buckstix.com/images/105.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BoO175xieM/S9WAFkAEgfI/AAAAAAAAKro/LeJui7hf8iY/s1600/DSC02259.JPG

Bullet Caster
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I think they're lube/sizer inserts. BC

gandydancer
12-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Is their a screw hole in the ends of the pins? do the pins screw in to the bars? if not what holds them in the bars?

gandydancer
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Them there is cannoneers tools.

The round hollow part holds a length of smoldering rope (hemp.... wowser), with which to light the cannon fuse.

The small rods are to punch through the fuse flash hole, so that the new fuse can get inserted.

If I were a cannoneer, I would know that cannoneer's term for the thing.
But suffice it to say, that you now have to get a right proper cannon.......... Heck, you already have the accessories!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cannoneers used 3 implements to load a cannon what are their names?

Answer: The Pic, Sponge and Ram.

It's discussed here:
http://www.buckstix.com/HowitzerTools.htm

Pictures of some variants are shown. Here's a common one:
http://www.buckstix.com/images/105.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0BoO175xieM/S9WAFkAEgfI/AAAAAAAAKro/LeJui7hf8iY/s1600/DSC02259.JPG
That was my guess. A Touch Hole Tool. (never mind) GD

azrednek
12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Muffler bearings, I am POSITIVE..

Nope... no zerk fittings. Looks more to me like a radiator drain peacock for a 60-63 Corvair.

ubetcha
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Wallenba, That is funny.I like it.I have a grin from ear to ear.:bigsmyl2:
Sometimes I think I'm reading the same words when looking at a service repair procedure at work. Alot of time ,it just sounds like Bla-Bla-Bla-Bla

pergoman
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
The half inch diameter gave it away. They are revolutionary war era sizing dies for round balls. The lube groves are on the dies since everyone knows you need a place for the lube when sizing your balls.

hiram
12-06-2011, 11:03 PM
They are used in the wine making industry. If your grape press breaks, you stick these into each grape to get the juice out.

cajun shooter
12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Springfield, Moonman is on the right track. If you look at a T/C muzzle loader you will find them under the barrel for holding the ram rod. Later David PS I thought you were a BP man.

dagger dog
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I couldn't tell you what they are, but I have the original walnut box with brass hardware and a green velvet lining.

I could let it go for cheap!