PDA

View Full Version : Tin score

Longwood
06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Stopped at the recycler today. I saw 4 big and shiney pieces of something that was very soft in the lead barrel so I tested it with my home-made hardness tester. The tester says it is tin.
I bought the 17 pounds plus four little half pound ingots with a L stamped in them along with a 1/4 pound ingot with a S stamped in it for 8 bucks.
I got some of the little ingots a few weeks back and they do test as hard as my Linotype test piece and muriatic does not phase it.[smilie=w:

Ole
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Sweet! :drinks:

I found 4 wheel weights laying in the road on my bike ride this morning. They were free but I bet someone thought I was an idiot for picking up old dirty wheel weights out of the street. :mrgreen:

1911GrayWolf
06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Got an ingot that weighed about 4 pounds of "Magnolia Anti-Friction Metal" off the lead pallet at my local recycler along with a bunch of dead soft cable sheathing for 80 cents a pound. Online sources say the Magnolia ingot has a decent amount antimony and tin in it. At my recycler, if it looks and feels like lead it sells for lead price.

lwknight
06-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Sweet! :drinks:

I found 4 wheel weights laying in the road on my bike ride this morning. They were free but I bet someone thought I was an idiot for picking up old dirty wheel weights out of the street. :mrgreen:

They would have just thought that you were saving the world from the evil lead wheel weights going around polluting rivers and streams and sneaking into childrens rooms and poisoning them.