PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to try another boolit lube

bensonwe
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Gents,

I've been casting for quite a few years and have had very good results with LEE ALOX boolit lube but just thought I would give another boolit lube a try. I mainly shoot 150 & 160 grain .30-30. What is some of the better equipment that you all would recommend?

cbrick
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Gents,

I've been casting for quite a few years and have had very good results with LEE ALOX boolit lube but just thought I would give another boolit lube a try. I mainly shoot 150 & 160 grain .30-30. What is some of the better equipment that you all would recommend?

Confusing question, are you asking for equipment or lube recommndations?

Rick

bensonwe
06-21-2011, 02:28 PM
I quess it it a confusing question, sorry bout that.

I would like some recomendations on equipment & lube.

fredj338
06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
You can pan lube, several of the WhiteLabel lubes will work fine. If you want a luber/sizer, buy the Magma/Star. Yes it is expensive, but it is far faster than the others & easier to use as the bullets size nose first.

zomby woof
06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm using 2500 and pan lubing rifle boolits with great results.

white eagle
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I been using carnuba red but have switched to 2500+
we will see what the difference is if any

cbrick
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
What is some of the better equipment that you all would recommend?

I would like some recomendations on equipment & lube.

The best equipment in lubrisizers is the Star. Most people with experience with the Star express how much faster it is, that's true but less often mentioned is the fact that the straight through sizing method is aslo a more concentric way to size, flat punch aginst a flat bullet base as opposed to a nose punch grabbing the nose off center and shoving it in & then out. If your looking for the better equipment I highly suggest the Star before a lot money is invested in other sizing dies. If your looking for the "better equipment" there is little point in buying dies twice.

Lube? There are many high quality lubes that work well, pretty much depends on what you decide to work with.

Rick

mroliver77
06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
I agree with cbrick above.
One thing I can add is if one used the Lyman type sizers with flat nose boolits you do not need a fitted punch but can use a flat punch. This take away some/most of the tendency of the punch to "steer" or start the boolit crooked resulting in boolits not being concentric. Also running the top punch screw loose with some boolit lube to hold TP in helps. Now we have the perfessors TP with an "o" ring to hold it in but let it self center. Brilliant application of an "o" ring!

I have and use both Star & Lyman type. I like the Star best.
Jay
Jay

noylj
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Are you unhappy with LLA or simply want to experiment?
I would hate to buy a lubrisizer when tumble lubing does so well.
I went from Lubrisizer to pan lubing to tumble lubing. Don't see any reason to go back.
They only change I plan to make is to Recluse's 45/45/10.

MikeS
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I have a Lyman 45 lubesizer. It's one of the in & out type sizers, but so far it's been doing ok for me. I size mostly flat point boolits, so for them instead of a traditional nose punch, I use a flat bolt (one of the carriage bolts supplied by Lee with their bench mounting plate system, they machine the bolts flat) and it seems to work better this way. For the few round nose boolits I have I use a regular nose punch. I would love to eventually get a Star sizer, but as mentioned, they're expensive (I paid like $40 for my Lyman 45).

If you've been using Lee Liquid Alox for lube, have you also been using Lee's push thru sizing dies? If so, an easy way to try something different would be to try pan lubing. There's a forum member here that makes a special tool called the WaxMeister that really makes pan lubing easy, and fairly mess free. What I do when I pan lube is I size the boolits first with a Lee push thru sizer, then pan lube them. This leaves a very thin coating of lube on the driving bands which some think is better, as it's like the coating left on the driving bands by tumble lubing.

Char-Gar
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
I started out with a Lyman 45 and now have 3 Lymans 450s. One is filled with my home made stuff and the other will Felix lube. The third is just hanging out in my shop.

I lube and size handgun bullets with them. For rifle bullet I use a push through die in the press and them lube in one of the machines.

Back in the 50s a popular home made lube was "beeswax with enough Vaseline to soften it for use in a lubricator/sizer machine". Being on a budget, I tried it and it worked well for both handgun and rifle. I still use it and the exact proportions are no that important. My mix is something like 65/35 wax to Vaseline. It has been my principal lube for over 50 years.

Others popular home made lubes were beeswax softened with "cup grease" or water pump grease. Cut grease is nothing more that auto chassis grease and it is still popular to mix it with beeswax for a bullet lube.

There is a host of home brew recipes and prepared lubes for sale. I hold the opinion that there are only two kinds of lubes..those that work and those that don't work. There are many good lubes out there if you want to buy some and many formulas if you want to make some.

Folks tend to push what they use as better than others, but I seriously doubt most of that stuff. It works or it doesn't.

If you want to buy a lube, Bullshop makes sells some that is as good as any and better than others that don't work. When you order get some of his Bull-Plate sprue lube. It is truly wonderful stuff and you will get hooked on it real fast.