PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience with Remington CBees

Alan in Vermont
06-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I ran out of my normal garden varmint fodder, CCI CBLongs, and bought a pack of Remington CBees. Supposed to be low noise. WRONG! Not quite as loud as high velocity Long Rifles but sure not quiet. They also don't shoot for beans nor feed at all well in my 10/22 when hand cycling the action.

After the CBees debacle I bought CCI subsonic long rifles. They are louder than CBLongs but not not as loud as the CBees. Also tried RWS subsonic low noise and those are a joke. Loudest of the supposedly quiet stuff and have enough snort to cycle the 10/22.

One shop usually has CBLongs but they were out. They are ordering more but it will be a few days before I have my hands on them.

I just put a new scope on the rifle, looks like I will have to zero it with what I can get right now and zero it again when I can get the stuff I really want.

bobthenailer
06-21-2011, 10:43 AM
I have never used the remington cbs but i have had good luck with the cci cb longs though.
Ive tried the Angula colibra and wasent satisfied but as soon as i can pick up some super colibras i will give them a try .

jh45gun
06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Keep us posted BTN I would like some reports on CBs before I buy any.

JIMinPHX
06-21-2011, 11:43 PM
It's been a few years since I messed with CBs. As I remember it, the Agulia Colibri were the slowest & the quietest. They came up around 380fps. I can't remember if that was out of a rifle or a pistol. They were slower out of the rifle than the pistol, which surprised me. I later found that you are not supposed to shot them out of a rifle for fear of them getting stuck in the barrel.

The next faster was the Super Colibri from Agulia. They were just a little hotter & still as quiet as a pellet gun.

After that my memory gets a little murky. I think that the CCI CB long was next on the list & the Rem CB was the fastest CB @ around 750fps. Don't quote me on those last two. it's been a while.

The Rem Subsonics were much stronger & louder than the Rem CB rounds. I think that the Rem CB long & CB short were about the same speed.

missionary5155
06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Good morning
Last time up an older friend had some racoon problems. There was a trail close to his house and a convinient tree 10 feet away. Bought a box of CB shorts and tried those out in single shot and my wife said from in the house ( I was in the basement) they sounded like a medium hand clap. So the racoons were eliminated and my friend said him & his wife never heard a shot.
Mike in Peru

06-24-2011, 10:03 AM
I was using either Super Colibis or CBees and one stuck in barrel and didn't catch it before I bulged barrel :sad: on my 70+ yr old 22.

leadman
06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I tested a bunch of CBs and other 22 ammo in my contender match barrel. I would not bother buying the aguila stuff. CCI ammo was the best of all the non match stuff. Almost equal to the highest pricest Eley.

canyon-ghost
06-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Same here, I tested several varieties of ammo through the Anshutz 1451D. The two best in price range came out to be Federal Lightning and Super X. Now, these are just the two you can get anywhere. I generally shoot X22LR, the Super X 40 grain for everything but, once in a while it's important enough for Green Tag (at $10 per box, it has to be very important). I've seen good results from PMC Sidewinder in a Contender and some of the Midas ammo may be good. But most off-the-shelf ammo isn't going to come close to what you want to shoot.
By the way, I used the target board at 75 meters to do this. Anything lighter than 40 grains in bullet weight usually doesn't make it to 100 meters anyway.
The list of ammo I don't use: Thunderbolt, Remington, Winchester Wildcat.

Ron

Alan in Vermont
06-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I tried the Rem "CBees" in my Single Six this morning. Accuracy could best be described as "a pattern" as opposed to "a group" at 25 yards. I'm sure not the shooter I once was, this gun used to deliver groups hovering around half inch at 25 yds. I was making 1 1/4ish groups at 25 with CCI subsonics and some old Windchester Wildcat LRs, the CBees went four inches or more.

canyon-ghost
06-24-2011, 08:39 PM
I could use the super colibri ammo but don't. Quiet really doesn't come into the scene, I need a good air rifle. I thought you were going into match ammo. I'm so far out in the country in a very small town that I use whatever it takes to kill the varmint. Although I don't like disturbing my neighbors, if I call out the type of varmint ( possum, skunk, etc.), they usually take up the same chase in their yard.
Ron

06-24-2011, 09:59 PM
This thread kinda dove tails with the 22 QC thread. I bought quite a few Rem CB longs about 12 years ago- cuz they were cheap. A real definition of false economy! Poorest 22 rf ammo I have ever shot. I believe much worse than the cheapest imported stuff from the late 50s early 60s.

DLCTEX
07-04-2011, 02:47 PM
After reading this thread I remember some Aquila Super Colibri a fellow had given me to try. I fired on in a Rem. Mod.41 and the first one stuck in the barrel about 2 inches from the muzzle. I pushed it out with a cleaning rod and ran an oily patch through. The next round hit low of the target at 25 yds. I'm not too impressed, but I live in the country where noise is not a factor. I'm glad I read this thread first so that I was watching for a stuck bullet.

dbldblu
07-05-2011, 07:11 PM
I have used Rem and Win and CCI and get good results at 10 yds. I think those of you trying to use these at 25 yds are asking too much.

mainiac
07-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Aint got much to add,but want to say that i use cci cb shorts,and am very satisfied with them.Hardly any noise,and they shoot about .5 groups out of my 77/22.
Great way to snipe crows out of the corn patch!