PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know my 357's

awaveritt
06-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I've loaded and fired thousands of various 38 special loads but have only recently begun to dabble in 357magnum. I've got two Ruger New Vaqueros and a colt trooper mk III (which I recently posted about, asking about the strength of its action). I've also got a Marlin 1894c (but this IS the wheelgun forum:) ).

Some of you replied that my Colt Trooper is plenty capable, but now my question(s):

Are the New Vaqueros capable of digesting a steady load of full house magnum loads? I've read much about how they are NOT "old" Vaqueros, and are more along the lines of the Colt SAA and clones with respect to strength. Yet, I'd like to feed 'em some 158gr. boolits with a healthy dose of 2400 as well as some jacketed hollowpoints in case the vaqueros spend some time in the night stand. Surely they're up to the task of handling full house factory loads, so why not, right? I guess what I'm asking is, anybody ever have a New Vaquero shoot loose or give up on top end loads?

Piedmont
06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
The New Vaqs in .357 are bull strong guns. It is slightly stronger than a Colt SAA but the .357 is such a small diameter cartridge that you have a surplus of steel in the cylinder. The New Vaq cylinder is larger in diameter than a Ruger GP 100 cylinder and folks rave about how sturdy those are.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-21-2011, 12:13 AM
The New Vaqueros in 357 can handle any sane published loads. The issue of “new” vs “old” has mainly to do with Vaqueros chambered in the 45colt (45LC).

Old Vaqueros in 45colt where built on the same “large” frame as the Blackhawk 44mags. These “old” Vaqueros in 45colt could safely handle the 45colt+P and “Ruger ONLY” loads found in most load manuals. Later when Ruger introduced the “new” Vaquero on the “medium” sized frames the ones chambered in 45colt where only ever intended to handle “standard” or “cowboy” 45colt loads.

Don’t feel bad if you are confused, Ruger’s lack of imaginative names are to blame.