PDA

View Full Version : Fun with the Pedersoli .72 SXS

Nobade
06-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Yesterday I had a chance to get the Pedersoli .72 to the range for some load workup. Previously I had been shooting it with Fg, and hadn't found a load that would regulate with anything else. But I didn't like the low velocity I was getting, so was determined to find a good load with FFg. I posted a 100yd. smallbore target at 100 yds, with a big paper behind it to catch any misses. I started at 4 drams, using Diamondback FFg and shot it to see where they went. Pretty far apart. So I went up 1/4 dram each time and at 4 3/4 drams it hit pretty close together. Then tried 5, and they were headed apart again. And that's as much as my measure holds. So, I posted a new target and fired ten pairs at it using 4 3/4 drams. The right barrel punched out the X ring and the left punched out a hole about 2 inches to the left. Both were keeping most shots touching, holes were about silver dollar size. When I was done the guys at the line had all stopped shooting their bolt and gas guns and were watching. I guess they didn't believe the old roundball gun could be that accurate. It sure made lots of noise and smoke, and is great fun to play with. BTW, bullets are air cooled wheelweight .715 balls cast from the Lyman mould, and patches are blue stripe pillow ticking lubed with moose milk. (I don't have enough spit to wet those two big patches!)

And switching to FFg sure flattened the trajectory. With Fg the balls hit to point of aim at 100 yds, under the front bead. With the new load I hold at 6:00 on the bull and they hit center, so it is going about 7 inches higher at that range.

missionary5155
06-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Greetings
That just makes me envious ! How I wish Pedersoli would make a caliber .62 - .65 double rifled gun !
From shooting my Fox B with .685 RB & 135 grains 2F I think there is not too many critters can take two well placed shots and walk or run very far. And that caliber .72 is a bunch more lead !
Mike in Peru

Nobade
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm with you there. The 12 bore is great fun but a lighter 16 or 20 bore would still work fine on game and be easier to carry around.

NickSS
06-21-2011, 05:15 AM
I saw a pedersolli double rifle in 50 caliber and another in 58. 24 gage should do the trick as far as taking game unless you want to hunt big bear. I shot one of the 72 cal guns a few years ago that was owned by an alaskan who was down here for a vacation. He bought it for bear medicine and he loads it with nearly 200 gr and a patch round ball. It was an impressive gun.

northmn
06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
The Kodiak made in 62 might also be a bit heavier as they probably would use the same barrels and drill smaller holes. In theory they could be made lighter. The Kodiaks I picked up were fairly hefty guns. 4 3/4 Drams is about 130 grains so it would be a moderate laod for a 72. However the large bore I shot, like the 12 bore smoothbores and the Bess kind of got my attention when I pulled the trigger. I really would not appreciate benching one in a rifle. Still if you get a 2 inch variance at 100 yards that is darn good for a double as they are made for close up and dirty. 2" at 50 yards is condidered good in one.

DP

missionary5155
06-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Good morning
I fired my FoxB 12 just 2 shots off a bench. That was with a folded towel on my shoulder. I quickly switched to cross sticks. Even with cross sticks the FoxB is just a might light for much shooting. 6" at 50 yards was as good as I could get it with 110 -135 grains 2F. I did make a very simple peep for it to have a repeatable rearsight. But I never figured I would be shooting it past 25-30 yards in real life.
Mike in Peru

firefly1957
06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a Trail guns Armory (Pedersoli) with 58X58 and \12 ga.X 12 Ga. barrels the maximum load on the 12 ga. barrels is 89grs with 1 1/4 once shot. With the 58 barrel My round ball load for deer is 110 gr FFG it will shoot two inches at 100 yds with the other barrel close enough to use same sight.