PDA

View Full Version : Die set questions, Cast vs Jwords

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-19-2011, 11:46 PM
So, after trolling through the back posts here,
I see I may need to do something about dies for my Argentine 7.65x53.
I've been shooting jwords but I have a mold on order from NOE for cast.
I understand there is some concern about popular dies for jacketed slugs, being to small,
and under sizing my carefully crafted little lead buddies during seating.
I've been using RCBS dies. I am going to have a problem here correct?
What flavor dies are recommended in order to not size my boolits while seating?
I am going to be getting a mold for the .308 as well, same thing applies.
Somebody set me straight!
Thanks

06-20-2011, 12:15 AM
This has been my experience and may not reflect that of others:
I've found Lyman seating dies to be the most friendly for cast boolits, even if they are somewhat fat for caliber. And, I prefer their expander/M-die over the flare type dies. Additionally, they have interchangable seating stems that match most of the common nose profiles.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2011, 04:37 AM
The thing is most die sets for rifles are two die sets, no expander. So whatever brand you buy, you will still need an expander/ neck flaring tool.

It really depends on how small your sizing die squeezes the neck of your brass. adn how much neck tension you want or need.

Granted the Lyman M die is one of the best ways to expand necks for cast boolit use, but I have loaded an awful lot of .308 and larger calibers by using the neck expander from a set of RCBS .30 Carbine dies. I put just a small flare at the neck, so the boolit doesn't shave while seating.

Robert

azcruiser
06-20-2011, 06:36 AM
If your just shooting the 765 arg in the same gun with cast and your not shooting full power loads .
But say something with trail boss in it .I have found
that just barely neck sizing and depriming is all I have to do.Some like my 6.5x55 I just de prime re prime add powder and seat the bullet without even resizing. Using that lee tumble lube -my 2 cents

Char-Gar
06-20-2011, 11:31 AM
I have never had the problems with seating dies that some folks speak of on this board. Maybe I am just lucky. Were I in you shoes I would size in the regular size die. Expand with a Lyman M die and seat in your seater. I would no assume there is a problem until it pops up.

When I size, I always remove the expander ball and decaping stem. I knock out the spent primers with a Wilson punch and base. The set for the 30-06 takes care of most cases with that head size. A little slower, but the brass is worked less. That dragging expander ball contributes to case neck stretching.

Jim Flinchbaugh
06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I have the Lee universal case expander die so the flare is no issue.
I was concerned about the seater squishing the cast boolits.
I loaded 40 rounds this morning without issue, so maybe I got lucky :D
I only neck size the Argentine as well.

Maybe this is mainly a concern with handgun loads?