PDA

View Full Version : Please help choose my birthday presents!

theTastyCat
06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi all - strange request here. My parents and aunt are asking what to get me for my birthday, and I'd like to ask for casting stuff. I've got about a ton of WWs and a couple hundred pounds of ingots that I've smelted as well as Miha's brand-spankin' new .45 HP mold. I don't have anything to size or lube though, or really anything else for the actual casting besides the mold itself and a Lee Pro 4-20.

So, could anybody suggest what would be a good thing to ask for in the $50-$100 range? I'll shortly be doing my research here to figure out exactly what else I'll need, but would love your help in the short term. So far in reloading/casting/life I've tried to buy quality so things will last without being extravagant. I'm also willing to put a little extra effort in to save some money. I don't expect to shoot much more than 500-1000 boolits a month since I only plan to start casting for two calibers, and I enjoy shooting suppressed and want to keep lead out of my cans as much as possible.

Many thanks!

GaryN
06-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I would get a lead (candy) thermometer. Swede Nelson (he's a sponsor on here) has a good one for twenty something dollars. You also need a way to lube the boolits. Maybe a used lube-a-matic and some dies. A new one is about $150. A good pair of welding gloves would also be nice. Then you can use your hand to open the sprue plate instead of beating up your new mold with a stick.

theTastyCat
06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Sorry! I do have a thermometer and gloves! I think the lube-o-matic may be the ticket. Many thanks Gary!

Wayne Smith
06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Find what you want used, here or on e-bay, and ask them to pay for it. That way you know exactly what you are getting, especially if you are shopping used. Unless there is an experienced caster in the bunch of your relatives, of course.

jsizemore
06-20-2011, 01:21 PM
$100 off the price of a Star would be most wonderful. Everytime you use it you think of them. Just what a present is supposed to be.

onondaga
06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Lee Hardness Test Kit:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=731364

Gary

man.electric
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
How about a Midway gift certificate or a Paypal giftcard so you can buy what you want or need from evilbay?

Mk42gunner
06-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Or decide what type of sizer you are going to get and have them pay for the dies/top punches.

Robert