PDA

View Full Version : Swage punch alternatives

Ammosmith
06-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Using the CH4D dies I have found that the punches provided do not allow for you to recess the core. For example the 9mm dies I ordered the CH4D 30 caliber swage punch. As most of you who ever used these dies know the punches are not hardened. To replace one is about $25 Sooooo.....

I ordered a set of cast bullet sizing punches from Lee. They are a bit longer but they are hardened and make a great punch for setting a recessed core.

I will say this..for $2.50 each I can get 10-1.

BT Sniper
06-19-2011, 02:33 AM
The will work for a little while. Longer if your carefull I guess. Not sure about them being hardened. Seems I have bumped them into the die before and had them ding farly easily. It does where the bottom of the shell holder slot out too. Like you said though they are cheap so you can afford to buy extras when they give out.

Here is some pics of what happened to mine.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1020470.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/Leeramtop005.jpg

Like I said as long as you don't apply to much force they may work for a while. I tend to test things to the limit.

Swage On!

BT

DukeInFlorida
06-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Brian, that PM I recently sent you. That's exactly what I was asking about.

Ammosmith. I recently destroyed both my .308 and 357 punches. Very easy to do.
Was asking Brian if he made these, and was delighted that you found a solution.
Keep in mind that Lee makes these parts to merely push cast lead bullets through a sizing ring. As such, there's not a lot of quality required. Also, the punches do not come in exact sizes to match the sizing ring.

Example: The punches for 357 and 358 sizing rings are both .353 diameter. I'm hoping it works anyway. Thanks for the tip, I ordered a few extras, and we'll see what happens.

Using the CH4D dies I have found that the punches provided do not allow for you to recess the core. For example the 9mm dies I ordered the CH4D 30 caliber swage punch. As most of you who ever used these dies know the punches are not hardened. To replace one is about $25 Sooooo.....

I ordered a set of cast bullet sizing punches from Lee. They are a bit longer but they are hardened and make a great punch for setting a recessed core.

I will say this..for $2.50 each I can get 10-1.

SWANEEDB
06-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Can these punches be case hardend?

ReloaderFred
06-19-2011, 09:48 PM
I've been using the Lee punches for close to a year now, and as noted, they vary in size and are pretty soft. With that said, they will work for awhile. I ordered five of each size I needed and when they get dinged up, I just replace it with a new $2.50 punch. If you order enough of them at one time, the shipping breaks down to a reasonable level.

They do make great core seating punches, though, since there isn't a whole lot of pressure involved there. I use one that will fit inside the cases I'm using for the caliber bullets I'm making.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MIBULLETS
06-20-2011, 05:30 PM
ReloaderFred,
Did you order them right from their website?

ReloaderFred
06-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes, I got on the site and placed my order from there. You have to go to the "parts" section for the bullet sizing dies to find the punches. It's not the easiest site to order from, but it's not the worst, either.

Hope this helps.

Fred

DukeInFlorida
06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Note that SOME of the punches are the right size for what we would do with them.

For example, the .308 sized punch is right at .308 in diameter.

However, the 357 magnum sized punch is only .353 in diameter. Some lead will squeeze by that punch.

Since the Lee punches are only made for pushing lead bullets through their sizing system, they don't have to be exactly to size.

So, depending on your need (core seating vs final swaging) and caliber size, you might be happy or disappointed.

If I'm disappointed for some sizes, I have some higher priced custom sources I can turn to.

Ammosmith
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm using mine to seat cores. I hope to get a Smithy Granite 3-1 next year and that will be used for all manner of cool stuff.

DukeInFlorida
06-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Got some of the .308 bottom punches in from Lee. They are VERY long!

I made the mistake with the first set up of not having more of the bottom punch inside the die, and promptly bent the punch. Nice curvy bend. They are very soft, and mild steel (1010??)

Depending on the die set you'd use, and the length of the bullet, you might be better of by trimming the punch shorter.

One down, two to go........

7of7
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I just make my punches.. whatever size I need.. If someone wants some, I am willing to make them.
I currently have some that I have used to swage a few thousand bullets.. the only thing is that it has compressed a bit, and I have to throw it back on the lathe and use some 1000 grit on it to remove the 1/2 thou that it has grown..
I am going to need to make another here soon, just because..

SWANEEDB
06-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Can these punches be case hardend?

Still would like to know if these punches can be hardened.!!

DukeInFlorida
06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
The Lee punches are most likely 1010 carbon steel (I have ruined all three of them that I purchased, they are THAT soft.).

There's not enough carbon in the steel to "through harden" the steel appropriately.

It IS possible to "case harden" the punches. That would involve heating the punches, and immersing them in something that would induce additional carbon atoms to get embedded into the surface (only the surface) of the steel.

Here's one way:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4558811_case-harden-steel.html

Another way:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4579248_harden-steel-motor-oil.html

And, a video showing oil case hardening and tempering being done on a knife blade.