PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 225 grain SWC in an inline

richhodg66
06-19-2011, 01:29 AM
I cast some of these up for use in plastic sabots in an inline. I've done a lot of muzzle loader hunting over the years, but mostly with plains bullets in a Hawken, so this is fairly new to me though I've done some shooting with it.

Any thoughts? I'm planning on trying 80 grains of 777 and plan on leaving the bulloets unsized. Would sizing them down help the sabots to turn loose of the bullets once it exits of does it matter? This is a gas checked design, so the base won't be square without one, should that make any difference?

I've shot the RCBS 250 grain Kieth some, but wanted something a little lighter. I also cast some of these for use in my Super Blackhawk, maybe I'll get a chance to use it this deer season as well.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Years ago I helped a young fellow get his blister pack Knight inline ready for deer season. 50 Caliber. We started with the black bulk high pressure sabots, goex FFFg and a lot of Hornady bulk 44M 240 grain soft lead SWCs. Sabots can be had in 44 or 45.

Lightly lubed (made greasy with BP patch lube applied by fingers to the outside) a sabot, inserted the .432 SWC, started at 75 grains and sighted the scope in at 100 yeards. Not much of a group but on the paper. Sized the SWCs to .430 because of too tight loading. We wanted a load that could be physically started and seated without the usual canniptions inline shooters go through. That was critical for safety and ease. He had no experience.

Then he started shooting 3 shot groups in 5 grain increments. At 90 grains/100 yards it came in to 2 touching, one very close, off the sandbags on a good bench and shot repeatably. He cleaned reasonably every 6 shots, starting the next series with a somewhat clean bore condition. I recall it used #11 caps and it was a 3 X 8 Bushnell Sportview.

The longest shot taking a deer was a lazed 185 yards.

I would do this again. Few hunters need $2 a shot loads for deer.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Yep i use my 44mag mold & my 45 cal

izzyjoe
07-04-2011, 07:28 PM
i bought some sabot's from a local sporting good store. i plan on using the Lee 430-310 sized to .430, but i've yet to try them. when i do i'll post my results. it should be a real thumper on deer. cause this is the same boolit i use in my marlin .44 mag. so it's basiclly the same thing.