PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Valuation

Poygan
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Back in the 1970s I acquired a boot pistol with no makers markings except a serial number of either 18 or 81 under the barrel. I recently found a Flayderman's Guide to antique firearms, second edition, where I found this pistol. It is an A. B. Fairbanks All-Metal Pistol. I'm trying to determine the value so does anyone have a current issue of the Flaydermans book (or any other) that would give me an idea of the current value? I consider it to be in good condition.

Thanks for any inputs.

Poygan

woody1
01-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Back in the 1970s I acquired a boot pistol with no makers markings except a serial number of either 18 or 81 under the barrel. I recently found a Flayderman's Guide to antique firearms, second edition, where I found this pistol. It is an A. B. Fairbanks All-Metal Pistol. I'm trying to determine the value so does anyone have a current issue of the Flaydermans book (or any other) that would give me an idea of the current value? I consider it to be in good condition.

Thanks for any inputs.

Poygan

Fairbanks All Metal Pistol according to 2002 Standard Catalog of FIREARMS, by Ned Schwing, published by Krause Publications.

"This odd pistol was produced of all metal, with a one-piece cast brass frame and handle and an iron barrel and lock system. It is chambered for .33 caliber and utilizes the percussion ignition system. The barrel lengths noted are of 3" to 10". The barrels are marked "Fairbanks Boston. Cast Steel." They were manufactured between 1838 and 1841." Values listed are Good $600, Fair $300, poor $150.
Regards, Woody

floodgate
01-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Poygan:

Flayderman's Eighth Edition (2001), p. 336 says: "Values - Good $300 Fine $700". So, with woody1's input from Schwing, you've got the whole range of conditions to work with. Might ought to add 10% or so for inflation over the past 5 years.

floodgate

wills
01-03-2007, 12:08 AM
This?
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/american-arms/american-firearms/z-pic/pics-F/Fairbanks,%20A.%20B/pic/6350.jpg

Poygan
01-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Wills: That's it, except mine doesn't have the makers name on the top. The next question is, how would you rate the condition of the one you pictured? Obviously there is a large difference in value based on the condition.

Thanks for the inputs from the rest of you. It gives me some idea of value the next time I go to a gun show and see if there's any interest in it.

I also have a Belgium screw barrrel in a double barrel configuration but I have some idea of the general value...$300 or so range. In retrospect, sometimes I wonder why I bought what I bought!