PDA

View Full Version : I whimped out !

atr
06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
could not bring myself to start carving on my M1895 Mauser to replace the trigger with a Timney...I decided to live with that military 2 stage trigger instead !
I am a good wood worker with the right tools but something in me said,,,let it alone !
call me a wimp
atr

Multigunner
06-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Mauser machined inletting is just too pretty to want to deface.

atr
06-19-2011, 10:07 AM
my thoughts exactly Multigunner !!!!

swheeler
06-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Dayton Traister trigger will fit without wood removal.

atr
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
swheeler....thanks for that tip about the trigger !
if anyone else has had experience with this type of trigger I would like to hear from them....I don't want to modify the original wood stock in any way to accomodate this new trigger.

3006guns
06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
That was an EXCELLENT decision and you are to be commended for it. Although tons of milsurp rifles were imported, each one modified is one LESS original in the world.

I salute you sir!

mroliver77
06-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I have taken stock Mauser triggers and deburred, polished and fitted a new spring that resulted in a lighter crisper trigger pull that was fine for my finger. There is a couple of ways to shorten the pull and/or do away with the two stage (Why?). Most older gunsmithing books have a decent section on military triggers. Really though, a good honing, squaring of the sear surfaces and a lighter return spring (within safety constraints) does wonders!
Jay

Von Gruff
06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
The military trigger can easily be made into a single stage crisp 3 lb trigger without any difficulty and is reversable should that be a need for any reason.

I did mine with Devcon steel but I have also seen them done with a screw.
The devcon can be carfully adjusted after setting to give the required amount of seart engagement with the first stage lifted. The return spring can be shortened or a replacement used and shortened, a quarter turn at a time untill the desired weight is reached. This gives a foolproof single stage trigger.
I did mine nearly thirty years ago and it has not failed me in all that time . It has also been in three different rifles and is now in my custom 7x57.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/005.jpg

Von Gruff.

Mk42gunner
06-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Or just smooth it up and wear out a couple of barrels, by then you will be used to the two stage trigger.

I actually like two stage triggers, and cock on closing never bothered me either.

Robert

Char-Gar
06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
OK..Somebody has to do it! You are a wimp!!! :-)

I have relieved the wood to make space for Timmy, Canjar and other triggers is a score Mauser rifles. There is more than enough wood to do this with zero problems. It is just a simple spot and chisel operation.

I have used military two stage triggers. I have slicked up and modified military two stage triggers. But the end of the day, none of that can get you close to a good commercial single stage adjustable trigger.

Sanchez
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
atr,
"If" that M1895 is original, & matching, etc: please don't mess w/ it.

Your rifle is a fine piece of history, & a 2-stage Mauser trigger is of little consequence to a good rifleman.